Share on Facebook

Share on Twitter

Share on LinkedIn

Share on Email

Share More

Rishi (Ops Exec.)     07 January 2013

Property sale - legal considerations

Dear Friends,

I'm selling my residential apartment in Mumbai and was wondering if there are any legal considerations that are to borne in mind from the stage of accepting token money to full/ final settlement and registration of property on buyer's name. I have a loan on this property and was thinking on the following lines:

1. Accept the token money from the buyer and execute a memorandum (on plain paper) stating clearly the payment schedule and clauses for cancellation of sale from buyer's side (resulting in forfeiting of the token amount) and seller's side (resulting in pay the sum equal to the token money paid by the buyer)

2. Accept the second installment equal to the outsstanding loan amount. Issue a receipt note (or acknowledgement) to the buyer carring details of the payment made.

3. Obtain the original documents from bank

4. Obtain certificate stating no dues from society

5. Accept the third and final installment from the buyer. Issue a receipt note (or acknowledgement) to the buyer carring details of the payment made.

6. Upon realization of all the financial transactions, get the property registered on buyer's name and hand over the keys.

Looking at the cases of frauds, I want to be extra cautious and would like to know if there's any possibility of buyer cheating the seller, in any manner or at any stage, while executing the transactions. The buyer is not taking loan but al the transations are transparent and clean (through bank accounts).

Thanks,

Rishi

Learning

4 Replies

binay (advocate)     07 January 2013

dear Mr. Rishi, you have been in perfect procedure.

go through it.

binay (advocate)     07 January 2013

just go for tthe loan outstanding in 1st stage. so it's easier for you

Rishi (Ops Exec.)     22 January 2013

Thanks Binay!

Rishi (Ops Exec.)     22 January 2013

In case, the buyer is keen on registering the property, paying the stamp duty, and executing the sale deed on the same day of giving the full and final settlement "cheque" (for the 80% amount of the property value), can I secure my rights completely by including, in the sale deed/ agreement, a consideration clause of realization of cheque for the sale deed and registration to stand valid?

What is the provision in law to legally cancel the registration in case the full and final settlement cheque bounces or payment is stopped with malicious intent by the buyer?

Leave a reply

Your are not logged in . Please login to post replies

Click here to Login / Register