LCI Learning

Share on Facebook

Share on Twitter

Share on LinkedIn

Share on Email

Share More

Venkat Narayan (Developer)     27 September 2012

Illegal erection of transformer in residential area

I am a resident of closely packed residential area in Ettumanoor, Kerala. A shopping complex, with whom I share the wall of my plot, has erected a transformer inside its premise, just adjacent to the wall, almost some 10 meters away from my house. The transformer is of high capacity to serve the 4 storied entire shopping mall. As said, we are a group of 15 families staying around the shopping mall, three of us sharing the common wall with the Shopping complex building.

Is it legal to erect a transformer at close proximity to a residence, in a residential area consisting of more than 10 families at close proximity ? Are they many safety concerns regarding this ? Whom can I approach for a legal remedy if this is an illegal activity?

The shopping mall is owned by a big shot family of our area, who are much into real estate business and highly influential to 'buy' the kind of permissions from any government department.

What should I do?

Learning

4 Replies

Rama chary Rachakonda (Secunderabad/Highcourt practice watsapp no.9989324294 )     29 September 2012

Precautions must be taken by the electricity dept. of the state.You can give complaint to the electrcity dept. about your grievance. 

Venkat Narayan (Developer)     29 September 2012

I am not exactly sure if this is an illegal erection. What are the stipulations in the Electricity Act regarding the distance and the ratings of the transformer erected in a residential area?

It would be naive to go to the same officers with a complaint, who have given permission to such a structure, would'nt it be?

Before meeting them I would prefer to be armed with the knowledge of the relevant laws. Whom do I contact, or where do I get some information?

regards

Nataraj

(Guest)

It would be better if you contact some qualified Electrical Engineer or professor for electrical engineering of a engineering college/university to consult about the requiremnt of minimum distance from the habitation, as per the specifications about electricity transmission/ Act and Rules, etc., on the issue.

Sudhir Kumar, Advocate (Advocate)     17 October 2013

agreed with Mr Dhingra I would add that you need to have site visit by expert engineer after paying him. The issue cannot be resolved by charitable advise given here.

Leave a reply

Your are not logged in . Please login to post replies

Click here to Login / Register