Share on Facebook

Share on Twitter

Share on LinkedIn

Share on Email

Share More

INDIAN CITIZEN (Research Scholar)     07 August 2012

What are marriage law for jews?

Dear Sir/ Madam

This question for pacify my legal  curiosity and for enhancing my awareness for law.

what are the marriage laws for Jews residing in Indian territory?do they have any seperated personal law , like hindu, muslim, christian and parasi have ? Since I neve come across and try a lot to search for such marriage law made for Jews in India?

Secondley what about BAHAI religion? They don't have any personal law in India. Are they considered as Hindu? becuase in Hindu marriage act , it is clearly written that the hindu is ( who is not muslim, christian, parsi and Jew and )

Kindly reply me

thanks

Rajeev

Learning

2 Replies

Tajobsindia (Senior Partner )     07 August 2012

1. The matrimonial laws of Jews, there is no codified law in India. Even today, they are governed by their religious laws. Jews do not regard marriage as a civil contract, but as a relation between two persons involving very sacred duties. Marriage can be dissolved through courts on grounds of adultery or cruelty. Marriages are monogamous.

2. In Baha'is once parental permission is obtained, the marriage takes place, requiring only the simplest of ceremonies. In the presence of two witnesses designated by the local Baha'i governing council, the couple recites the following verse: "We will all, verily, abide by the will of God." For Baha'is, that simple commitment to live by God's will implies all of the commitments associated with marriage, including the promises to love, honor, and cherish; to care for each other regardless of material health or wealth; and to share with and serve each other.

Beyond these simple requirements, Baha'is are free to design their own marriage celebration. Depending on personal tastes, family resources, and cultural traditions, Baha'i ceremonies run the gamut from small to large, including all manner of music, dance, dress, food and festivity.

If a Baha'i marriage fails, divorce is permitted, although it is strongly discouraged. If Baha'is choose to seek a divorce, they must spend at least one year living apart and attempting to reconcile. If a divorce is still desired after that year, it is then granted, dependent on the requirements of civil law. This "year of patience," as it is known to Baha'is, is supervised by the local Spiritual Assembly, the local Baha'i governing council.

The main source of Bahá'í law is the Kitáb-i-Aqdas, but it is supplemented by some supplementary texts written by Bahá'u'lláh, as well as further interpretations by `Abdu'l-Bahá, and Shoghi Effendi, heads of the religion after Bahá'u'lláh's death, as well as legislation by the Universal House of Justice, the international governing body of the Bahá'ís.

Bahá'u'lláh' also stated that if the laws were in conflict with the civil law of the country where a Bahá'í lives the laws could not be practiced.

1 Like

INDIAN CITIZEN (Research Scholar)     07 August 2012

Dear Sir

Thanks for your reply. So far you say, there is no seperate law for jews . marriage If marriage is dissolve , some civil laws will apply like U/s 125 cr pc , succession etc. Do you mean so?

Regards

Rajeev

Leave a reply

Your are not logged in . Please login to post replies

Click here to Login / Register