Share on Facebook

Share on Twitter

Share on LinkedIn

Share on Email

Share More

Sangeet (executive)     07 June 2012

Is it advisable to add my wife's name to a property purchase

Dear Experts,

I got married in november 2010 and had purchased a flat in August 2008 prior to meeting my wife and the flat was jointly in my name and my fathers name.. After marriage, my wife and me have been staying with my parents, however post birth of my baby in dec 2011, my wife has been having dispute with my parents and extended family and doesnt want to keep relations with anybody. She is also insisting we move to the flat i had purchased and reside there and not have my parents come over, her family is also demanding that i take out my fathers name from the flat and add her name to it. I am under sever duress because of this.. Pls advise...

If i just need to add her to the share certificate without undergoing stamp duty and re registeration, is it possible? The soceity has not formed as yet.

Learning

5 Replies

Ranee....... (NA)     07 June 2012

you can remove your father's name..but as your wife has no financial contribution to the flat , do not add her name.

(Guest)

adding your wife's name to your property means after divorce she will take this property with her. this will be a great blunder for you.  so my advice is do not add her name.

S Jadhav 98336 98330 (Jadhav & Associates)     07 June 2012

Assuming that you will have a happy married life and not a life of separation form your wife, then you may stay with her in a separate house for good family relations since your wife staying with your family has created disputes and tension.

But for staying separately why does she want you to remove your father's name form the flat ?

Assuming that your father has also contributed towards the purchase of the flat you may pay him hise share at the current market rate and get the full flat transferred to your name. If you trust and love your wife you may also transfer your father's share in her name though I would not advise you to do so since her behaviour in the past has been worrisome.

If she is asking for her name in the flat ownership, then there is something going on. Be careful.

She may be worried that other children of your father may ask their share since the father's name is there and hence if she asks you to remove his name by paying him, it seems fair but she cannot ask to put her name unless she also does not trust you.

S Jadhav

Shaji P.Mathew (CEO)     08 June 2012

Dear,

I presume that, your father has no properties other than this flat, and he has some interest on it. If so, it is not advisable to change his interest from this as it is your duty to take care of your father in his old age. So think, and understand the intention of your wife.

Adv.Shaji P.Mathew

Global Associates.

Ernaklam.

bhagwat patil (Property due diligence 9422773303)     10 June 2012

Not advisable at all.

Leave a reply

Your are not logged in . Please login to post replies

Click here to Login / Register