Upgrad
LCI Learning

Share on Facebook

Share on Twitter

Share on LinkedIn

Share on Email

Share More

Sasuke (Student)     24 May 2012

How to make a minor change in name sequence?

Help!

My name goes like: "Alpha Beta G"

Since I don't have a family name for a surname, as is the custom here in South India, my father's first name "Gamma" which starts from G was made the last name/surname.

My issue arises out of the naming system folowed here in South India, where our given name is the only one we grow up with, condensing father's name to an initial and making it the middle/last name (just as formality). Your answers would also help many others like me.

Up till now, Alpha Beta G is how it has been in all documents like Birth Certificate, License, PAN Card and Passport. My first name is "Alpha" (referred to as by everyone) and "Beta" is just supplementary (second) name, "G", the intial,being the last name, going by the sequence in documents. There is no shared family name like Kumar, Singh etc., Hence, no real surname. G as initial is "perceived" to be the last name based on the order as in the documents.

However, the problem is with my Passport and PAN Card... G is not allowed to stay as an intial; expanding it becomes mandatory. But I do not wish to use the expanded G i.e. Gamma as my last name.

I do not want to be addressed to as Mr. Gamma, (father's name, which becomes inappropriate) in situations where preference is given to last name.

Hence, I would like to make a small change in sequence in the name i.e as Alpha G Beta (was originally intended to be this from birth but got changed in documents later on after joining school), so that G stays as middle name (initial). I understand I will have to anyway expand the G again in my passport, but at least my last name would still be "Beta".

I do not have any knowledge of how to approach this issue legally. So I am turning to you for assistance. Please help me out...

Can I get an affdavit or something stating Alpha Beta G is the same person as Alpha G Beta, so that I can get my name changed in my passport from Alpha Beta Gamma to Alpha Gamma Beta?

I thus will get to use my name as Alpha G Beta {G my intial (and father's name), as usual, but this time as my middle initial}.... My first name would be Alpha and last name being Beta, which should be the proper way, thus being addressed as Mr. Beta would still be fine.

I just want to be able to get the name discrepancy sorted out, that's all, I don't think this goes at the level of "name change" (which I do not want to do).

Thanks a lot!

Learning

3 Replies

MohammedRaffiq Bijapur (Advocate)     24 May 2012

Affidavit as u desired is sufficient.

Shamsudheen Abdulrahman (-)     24 May 2012

I wonder to get more response on this from lawyers.

Kind regards,

Sasuke (Student)     26 May 2012

The procedure for name correction in Passport states I must get a sworn affidavit/deed poll. I downloaded an Annexure E from their website which was a sample affidavit for the above.

However, in that affidavit, it goes:

By this deed I, the undersigned………………. (new name) previously called ………………. (old name).....

But I am not doing a name change here. Is there another way for me to make it clear that "Alpha Beta G" is the same as "Alpha G Beta" and, clearly mention in that document as G is my middle initial while my last name must be Beta for all purposes.... Hopefully I can show this to the Passport office saying this is a sworn affidavit to clarify the current issue, and I do not need to get a deed poll as given their sample.

Please let me know how to proceed, whom to consult.

Thanks a lot!

Leave a reply

Your are not logged in . Please login to post replies

Click here to Login / Register