LCI Learning

Share on Facebook

Share on Twitter

Share on LinkedIn

Share on Email

Share More

Harassed (self)     23 May 2012

Safeguard my assets

My relations with my wife are quite strained; we live abroad. She is planning to go on a trip to India to attend a wedding. I have reasons to suspect she will just stay there and initiate a divorce. I don't want to break the marriage by myself, but if she initiates it, I will agree.

My immediate question is this: we have a lot of jewellery that my mother and I purchased for her that we have in our home (along with receipts). She wants to take all of it with her to attend the wedding. Would a signed letter from her listing the items and that she took them suffice from a legal standpoint?

I would much rather not do this, but the jewellery is worth several lakhs, and I have also already her family lots of money that I see no hope of recovering. How can I safeguard myself?

Learning

3 Replies

Adv.R.P.Chugh (Advocate/Legal Consultant (rpchughadvocatesupremecourt@hotmail.com))     23 May 2012

Dear Querist,

It's always good to be safe than to be sorry. The instances of misuse of 498a/406 (Criminal breach of trust) false cases by women are legion. You should get that reciept signed and also get a recording of the same if possible. Apart from this a lot many other intimation-pre-emptive steps are recommended to rule out a possible future misuse of laws against you.

Feel free to talk !

Harassed (self)     23 May 2012

Thank you. Would a signed letter from her listing all the items suffice if I were to ask her to give them back or face legal consequences (406) in case she does not return?

I will read up on false 498a cases also in the meanwhile.

rajiv_lodha (zz)     23 May 2012

DEAR!

All the jwellary she gets becomes her STREEDHAN, she can take it if she wants. U can not ask her to return it.

If its not her streedhan u think, do not give these items evr to her even with receipt..................anything gven this way wont return, remember!

Leave a reply

Your are not logged in . Please login to post replies

Click here to Login / Register