Share on Facebook

Share on Twitter

Share on LinkedIn

Share on Email

Share More

Mahesh (abc)     17 May 2012

Threat to cancel bail order if passport not surrendered

Hello all,

I have taken regular bail for 498a.  My wife has fed them nicely with lot of money. Till I got bail police
were hunting me like dogs and after I got anticipatory bail they refused execution
asking for passport. That I refused and took a regular bail.

Now after that I thought I can be peaceful. For one month police people were quiet without
doing anything. Suddenly two days back he calls me again and asks me to surrender the passport.
There is no such clause in the regular bail. I refused to give the passport. He threatened me that he will have
the bail order cancelled if I don't surrender the passport.

Should I go and obtain another court order or what should I do. Till now I have not
given any money to IO so he is harassing me like this. He is not ready to see any
judgements which talk about police not having any right to impound the passport.
What can I do under these circumstances.

Please help in this regard. I have to go again in another 2 days to meet the IO.
My lawyer is an useless guy, he says go and give him some 5/10 thousand.

Any suggestions in this regard is highly helpful.

Thanks in advance for your time.

Regards,

Mahesh

Learning

3 Replies

Tajobsindia (Senior Partner )     17 May 2012

@ Author

My observation from your post before us are;

Police (especially case IO) is now harassing you as said by you.

2. Your Lawyer is useless as said by you!

3. You yourself say you know the law - wow !

4. Lady’s side paid to IO overboard but you have not paid till date hence certain "double check" questions before us inspite of knowing the Law in queried matter.

Is it not so ?

Above besides the points before us, here is large piece of what factual law in subject matter is all about;

Re. Suresh Nanda .vs. Central Bureau of Investigation reported in (2008) 2 Supreme Court Cases(Crl) 121, wherein, their Lordships of the Hon’ble SC held in clear terms that the power of the police under S. 102 Cr.P.C., to seize a document could not be interpreted to include a power to impound the document. It was also held that the power of seizure contemplated under S. 102 Cr.P.C. was different from the power of the Court to impound a document under S. 104 Cr.P.C. The Honourable SC has held that though power has been conferred upon the court to impound a document under S. 104 Cr.P.C, the said power is not available in respect of a passport because impounding of the passport is governed by the provision of a special law, namely Passport Act, whereas the Code of Criminal Procedure is general law and hence the provisions of the special law will prevail over the general law. Their Lordships have also held in clear terms that though the police do have power to seize the passport and if they want to get the passport impounded after the seizure of the passport, they have to submit the passport to the Passport Authority with a requisition for impounding the same. Similar observation has been made in respect of the procedure to be followed by the Court. In either case, whether it be the Police or the Court, they cannot retain the passport and retention of the passport by the Court will amount to impounding of the document.

In the
re. case, the Honourable SC also incidentally observed that it was open to the authorities to approach the Passport authority under S. 10 or the authorities under S. 10-A of the Act for impounding passport in accordance with law.

Also note
The Passports Act is a special law while Cr.P.C is a general law. It is well settled that the special law prevails over the general law vide re. Sh. G. P. SINGH'S PRINCIPLES OF STATUTORY INTERPRETATION (9th Edn. P.133). This principle is expressed in the maxim “generalia specialibus non derogant”. Hence, impounding of a passport cannot be done by the IO / Court under S. 102 / S. 104 Cr.P.C though it can impound any other document or thing from you like your ATM card to gift to the lady if her lack of shopping  J is the crux of the matter between you two now-a-days now that you are on 'regular bail'.

However, attend the PS on roll called day and there mark your "presence with time / date / signature" as mark of your co-operation before case IO and say in simple words to IO to approach concerned Authorities to "impound" your Passport if that is what you heard and or ask him to go and get from 'Prosecution Branch' a seizure memo issued. Bail cancellation cannot happen if "impounding" is the word used by IO.

Mahesh (abc)     20 May 2012

Hello all,

Thanks a lot for your suggestion. Yes I will change my lawyer.

Thanks for your time too.

Regards,

Mahesh

Leave a reply

Your are not logged in . Please login to post replies

Click here to Login / Register