LCI Learning

Share on Facebook

Share on Twitter

Share on LinkedIn

Share on Email

Share More

anand das (service)     17 April 2012

Stamp paper query

Stamp paper validity in Maharshtra is 6 months. 

Is it from date of execution (i.e. signing)  of agreement or from the date of registration of agreement?

Learning

8 Replies

Shailesh Kr. Shah (Advocate)     17 April 2012

date of purchase of stamp paper.

so if the agreement is executed/signed  within 6 months from the date of purchase of stamp paper,

will it be illegal if this executed/signed agreement is registered with subregistrar's office after 6 months from the purchase date. 

N.J. MISHRA (Legal Manager)     17 April 2012

AS PER SUPREME COURT JUDGEMENT THERE IS LIMITATION PERIOD OF USING STAMP PAPER.

N.J. MISHRA (Legal Manager)     17 April 2012

REGRET FOR ABOVE MENTIONED MESSAGE. AS PER SUPREME COURT JUDGEMENT THERE IS NO LIMITATION PERIOD OF USING STAMP PAPER.

but that is for indian stamp act which only levies stamp duty on few documents while documents as given in state stamp act , state act will apply. hence for maharshtra if validity period is given then, it is correct.

Navaneetha Krishnan (Junior lawyer)     17 April 2012

once if you signed the document then there is not question of validity of the stamp paper 

Narayanarao Murali (Advocate)     19 April 2012

Dobuts about  validity period of stamp paper is raised on several times to LCI. I would like to know from LCI members (like me) when there is a Supreme Court Judgement, it should apply to all States except in Jammu & Kashmir.  SC has clearly given in WP (CIVIL) 290 of 2001 that there is no time limit and the 6 months period is only for getting refund, if a Stamp Paper would like to return the unused Stamp paper and to get back the value of Stamp Paper. I am unable to understand how State of Maharashtra Can have their own Acts/Rules with regard to validity of Stamp Paper when Supreme Court Judegement is quite clear on this.

I would be happy to receive the feed back from other members of LCI.Regards, N.Murali

vetrivelan.s (Consultancy )     02 May 2012

STAMP PAPER IS THE SUBJECT MATTER OF STATES AND EACH STATE MAY HAVE THEIR OWN STATE ACT ON STAMP PAPER.  THEREFORE ITS BETTER TO GET CLARIFIED FROM THE BROTHER LAWYERS OF Maharshtra

AS RIGHTLTY STATED   there is not question of validity of the stamp paper ONCE SIGNED & EXECUTED. 

STAMPAPER DATE IS VITAL & IMPORTANT FOR VARIOUS REASONS. (AUTHENTICATION, FIX TIME FRAME ETC.,)

Leave a reply

Your are not logged in . Please login to post replies

Click here to Login / Register