LCI Learning

Share on Facebook

Share on Twitter

Share on LinkedIn

Share on Email

Share More

Swami Sadashiva Brahmendra Sar (Nil)     25 April 2009

Gender equality - Husband's rights in property of his in law

giving property rights to daughters can be a solution for evil of dowry.

but when we talk about gender equality, there must be a proposal for giving property rights to husband in the property of his in laws on the same footing as the wife is given in her husband's family.

can this issue be raised through a PIL?

Learning

3 Replies

n.k.sarin (advocate)     26 April 2009

Dear friend you can raise this issue,but chances of success is very weak. Purpose of all the law relating female is only one, that is to protect the female rights in the male dominated society.Dear friend, I think my other ld friend Ms Budhy Raja may guide you properly.

ritu bhadana (advocate)     26 April 2009

this issue can be very much raised but the purpose of giving rights to the women in in-laws property is because in ouy indian society a gal leaves her family and settles permanently with her in-laws whether in the case of a male it is not so..............i think a PIL on this issue will not suceed

Rajesh Kumar (Advocate)     28 April 2009

A Hindu wife has no right in the property of her in laws (except for maintenace). Off course she is one of the heirs of her husband property. Similarly, husband is a heir of her property (except the property inherited by her from her father).

As far as property rights go, a women has equal property rights just like man, as a heir of their father property. Further, a women has been made a coparcener in the joint hindu family of her father. She remains so, even after her marriage in a different joint hindu family.

Thus a women has equal opportunity to inherit property. 

Leave a reply

Your are not logged in . Please login to post replies

Click here to Login / Register