LCI Learning

Share on Facebook

Share on Twitter

Share on LinkedIn

Share on Email

Share More

gagandeepsingh.bagga (Practising Lawyer )     09 March 2012

Suit for damages

One person hired a services of another for custom clearances, more precisely, my client handedover original document to the agent to file in the customs. Custom clearences had 1 year time limitation.

But, the agent kept on lingering the matter on one pertext or another, at one moment, in his mail, he also made a false statement that he has submitted the document. But, he did not and 1 year lapsed and my client lost his refund amount which he was suppose to get from customs.

Is suit for damages along with compensation maintainable against the agent?

Also, can i go for criminal case of crminal breach of trust and cheating along with it?

Please let me know. Thank you. 

Learning

5 Replies

Shantilal Pandya ( Advocate)     09 March 2012

suit for damages  will lie  ,but no hope for criminal complaint  since the mere negligence  or inaction by itself will not furnish a ground  for  criminal action . moreove  criminal breach of  trust  cant be made out since the money paid was not to be returned . 

Thank you very much for the reply Mr. Pandya. How about if i go for 420"Cheating" rather than "Criminal Breach of Trust" for criminal case? Will that be maintainable?

if the  deception was not intended  by the  accused  at the time  of making  the complainant to part with money  , then also  the  case of  cheating  cant be  made out , subsequent  change of mind  for the accused for not to return money  is immtreial for  constituting the offence of cheatng .

secondly  offence of cheating and criminal breach of  trust  cant  go togather 

Originally posted by :Shantilal Pandya
"

if the  deception was not intended  by the  accused  at the time  of making  the complainant to part with money  , then also  the  case of  cheating  cant be  made out , subsequent  change of mind  for the accused for not to return money  is immtreial for  constituting the offence of cheatng .

secondly  offence of cheating and criminal breach of  trust  cant  go togather , 

I may make correction to my  earlier  posting  to the effect that the money was entrusted  to the accused for depoisting it  with the custom authorites  but  he  merely failed to deposit  it with the authority therefore he was bound to return it , will  furnish  a ground for civil action  in the abscence of  dishonest  intention  on the part of the accused 

"

Sir,

The agent was entrusted with the money, he was entrusted with original documents in the form of Letter of Credit, Subsidy forms etc. He was suppose to submit those documents with customs and clear the subsidy refundable amount which had a time limitation of 1 year. But, he did not do so and time lapsed.

Does this not amoun to criminal breach as he has breach the trust of my client by not submitting the documents.

Or

Does this not amount to cheating where he has, in one of his e-mail, written that he has deposited the documents, whereas,he did not do so.

As per the verbal contract between the parties, agent was suppose to be paid once he cleared the refundable amount sucessfully. Which he completely failed.

Please let me know, which would be the appropriate section to file criminal charge sucessfully.

Highly obliged with all you guidance. I really appreciate it. Thank you. 

Leave a reply

Your are not logged in . Please login to post replies

Click here to Login / Register