Share on Facebook

Share on Twitter

Share on LinkedIn

Share on Email

Share More

Vinay Kumar (EA)     04 March 2012

Adoption by step father in usa

Hi All,

First of all thank you for providing a great avenue to get quick answers for queries consumers like may have.

I currently live in the US and got married in 2004 in USA. My wife was widow at time and had two sons in India. I probably should have adopted them at time, but didn't think it was necessary. Now both the sons are teenagers and ready for college and all. My wife and I are not US citizens and don't think USCIS can help.

I want to make sure that I am able to be a good father to them, as they expect me to be. Emotions aside, I would like to make this right and legally adopt them. My questions are following

- Can I legally adopt them due to their age?

- Is there an organization/office which can help me complete this process with me being in USA?

- What is a high level process and how much time/cost it takes?

- What kind of legal problems if any should I expect?

- Does my wife and I need to be India in person, or one of us will suffice.

- My wife is buddhist by religion and so are her kids. What kind of problems does that present? 

We have death certificate of the kids biological father, and mother consent should not be an issue.

Help is appreciated

Learning

1 Replies

**Victim** (job)     05 March 2012

Well easiest way to bring both the children to united states would be your wife filing their papers since childrens are blood related to mother and then you appear as support sponsor to both the kids besides that you will have to hurry up coz once they turned 21 they can't come to U.S. except student visa and that takes forever for them to them permanent residentship in U.S.

Leave a reply

Your are not logged in . Please login to post replies

Click here to Login / Register