Share on Twitter

Share on LinkedIn

Share on Email

Share More

Shantanu Wavhal (Worker)     20 February 2012

Get a quickie divorce for only rs 2,000

Get a quickie divorce for only Rs 2,000

Rukmini Shrinivasan, TNN Aug 13, 2004, 03.59am IST

MUMBAI: In the street outside the metropolitan court in Bandra (E), a fiendish business is flourishing. The business of concocting illegal divorces and getting innocents to sign away their lives.

On Anant Kanekar Marg outside the Bandra court, lawyers and notaries solicit business like roadside hawkers. Most register marriages on the spot and some give couples an instant 'divorce by mutual consent'.

The 'deed of divorce' is prepared on a Rs 100 stamp paper, and the entire process of divorce takes as long as it does to sign the paper. The touts charge upwards of Rs 2,000 for the document.

But though the process is entirely illegal, lawyers point out that it is being increasingly used by men to cheat their illiterate wives into signing away their rights, including the custody of their children.

When the women realise what has happened, they are told that they have been divorced, not realising that the papers do not hold in a court of law.

Ironically, the State Women's Commission is a stone's throw away from the place where women are exploited so regularly.

One such shocking case is that of Sarita Kale (name changed), who lived with her husband and three children, aged eight, five and two years, in a chawl in Kandivli.

Abused by her husband ever since their marriage, Sarita bore his physical violence and demands for money and property since she had been disowned by her parents who were against the match.

On August 2, Sarita's husband walked into the house and picked yet another quarrel with her, saying that he wanted to divorce her and remarry. Sarita, in great pain from the serious burns she had sustained two days before, finally gave in, though she was still unsure what he intended to do.

"He bundled me into a rickshaw and took me straight to the notaries in Bandra. There, a paper was handed to me, and in daze of pain and shock, I signed it. He paid the lawyers Rs 3000 by pawning the only pieces of jewellery I had left," recounts Sarita.

Psst...Wanna Split?

Learning

10 Replies

(Guest)

wish every hubby gets such a ABALA WIFE!;);)

(Guest)

I HAVE SEN MANY TIMES WHENEVER A MARRIAGE DISPUTE COME BEFORE AN ADVOCATE, THEY TREAT THE CASE AS THE PARTIES DOESN'T EXIST AND SERIOUS ALLEGATION PUT BY THE PARTIES ON EACH OTHER, THUS COMPROMISE CONCEPT BECAME DISAPPEARED AS A RESULT YOUNG INNOCENT CHILDREN SUFFER BECAUSE OF THESE PARENTS AND SOCIETY.

1 Like

(Guest)

There is nothing wrong in getting such a document, because our women biased family laws never give justice to Indian men.

In India justice is always delayed, hence it is good to get such a divorce.

@ Melt, 

such practice of out of court divorce is illegal.

1 Like

(Guest)

It is legal, the hindu marriage act needs to be made simple for divorce. The problem of such NO SOLUTION laws make people get into these things. I pity them. They are not wrong.

@ Melt, 

can you pl. explain the legality ?

pl. furnish some judgements supporting ur contention.

Shantilal Pandya ( Advocate)     21 February 2012

It is not   shocking if  all concerned including LCI do not  take up the issue of  malpractices   in the  legal profession?

what  are the  views of hon"ble  members of LCI ?

Ramanathan G (Independent practice)     23 February 2012

it is really shocking. At delhi before a decade there was similar story of change name and get marriage certificate when alleged husband is ex-parte/ absent before marriage registrar.

RJ (owner)     27 February 2012

there is Women, who does this also, who i happen to know she did the same thing to the person she married and went to USA  & got legally married again?  in this case the new marriage is still valid in india??

Leave a reply

Your are not logged in . Please login to post replies

Click here to Login / Register