Upgrad
LCI Learning

Share on Facebook

Share on Twitter

Share on LinkedIn

Share on Email

Share More

Shree. ( Advocate.)     01 April 2009

Should the prime minister be a member of Lok Sabha?

Dear Members,

Should the Prime Minister be a member of Lok Sabha?

BJP leader L K Advani has said that Dr Manmohan should contest the election if he nourished any ambition to become the PM. Advani also said that the BJP will make it mandatory for the prime minister to be a member of the Lok Sabha, if it is voted to power.

What's your opinion?

Learning

25 Replies

Ashey   01 April 2009

yes .. I support Mr.L K Advani challenge for debate and  that Dr Manmohan should contest the election to become the PM. and his promise to make it mandatory for the prime minister to be a member of the Lok Sabha, is a very good idea that would certainly drive india to healthy democracy  

Ashey   01 April 2009

could anyone send me his website address ?

V.V.RAMDAS (Advocate)     01 April 2009

Dear Shree,

Answer to your first part of your question  I would like to say that , there is no provision in the constitution that the P.M must be from Lok Sabha but there is a provision that he must have to be member of either house of the parliament within 6 months of his elivation to the Post. But I do welcome  the propasal of Advaniji. In congress/UPA government most of the ministers are  from back-door entry. Prnab Mukhargy,Shivarj patil, Manmohan singh etc. 

Jithendra.H.J (Lawyer)     01 April 2009

just clik below

www.lkadvani.in

Jithendra.H.J (Lawyer)     01 April 2009

certainly it will be good move, but the constitution has to be amended,

and then it will not be possible for the polititians to accupie  the highposition by entering the parliment by backdoor

Swami Sadashiva Brahmendra Sar (Nil)     02 April 2009

PM should be preferred from upper house.

G. ARAVINTHAN (Legal Consultant / Solicitor)     02 April 2009

i Am not agreeing with Tripathi.. Our constitution says that the PM must be a member of any of the two houses. Loksabha or Rajyasabha

N.K.Assumi (Advocate)     02 April 2009

Even in a State there are instances where  a Governor of a particular state, comes back to his home state and straight away become a chief minister of the state without being an MLA only to contest election within 6 months while sitting as Chief Minister. This is undemocratic. It is not Advaniji's view only, but we should have a fresh look at the constitution in this aspect whether for PM or CM.

A.Mohamed Thaheer (ADVOCATE)     02 April 2009

Politically, election mandate of any party may be of anything, they may even  say that they will bring HEAVAN TO INDIA, BUT VOTERS SHOULD THINK WHETHER SUCH FALSE PROMISES COULD PRACTICALLY POSSIBLE.

But, FOR OUR DEMOCRATICE COUNTRY, WE REQUIRE PRIME MINISTER WITH CLEAN HANDS WITHOUT CORRUPTION. WE HAD SEEN THE ACHIEVEMENTS OF DR. MANMOHAN SINGH. FOR EXAMPLE, FOR HAVING PASSED THE RIGHT TO INFORMATION ACT, 2005 FOR BRINGING TRANSPARENCY IN ADMINISTRATION.

In India, any person including criminal can be become a Member of Parliament, by virtue of money power and muscle power. It does not mean that such elected members only  has to be elected as Prime Minister.  However, there is a prov ision in the constitution that, if a person is nominated as Prime Minister by any political party which comes to power, such person should become either Member of Lok Sabha or Rajya Sabha within 6 months from the date of assumption of charge to such posts.

Hence, Mr. Advaniji, has expressed his party's view, and that too, it could be done provided that necessary amendment is made to the extend necessary with the required majority in both Lok Sabha and Rajya abha.

Hence, the present provisions in the constitution to instal any elite personality with clean hands without corruption whichi is a pre-requisite for India is very much holds good, unless and otherwise warranted for the nation to make a better choice than the present provision in the constitution

Ashey   02 April 2009

Thanks Mr.Jithendra

Rajneesh Malhotra (Advocate)     02 April 2009

No, there is no need as per the constitution and the constitution should not be amended just because Mr.Advani wants it today. Has he ever said this before????

Mr.Advani is saying this today as today is is one of the popular leaders. Lets take a situation in which he was in Dr.Manmohan's shoes...then would he have said this??

This is just plain politics !! In a country like ours anyone can become prime minister, not by the virtue of the vote of people but by the wims and fancies of the MPs choosen by us...we already have seen Mr.Deve Gowda !!!

Do we really need to change the constitution?

I dont think so...

Rajnesh, you are right in some aspects. but lets see the scenario. Consider this, a candidate was defeated in the election but he was made the PM or the CM by the party, dont you feel that its undemocratic? Again, such PM or CM contest election within 6 months and people rejected it, what will be the consequences? I am not in favor of Advaniji or against Dr. Manmohanji. These are constitutional aspects only

Rajnesh, you are right in some aspects. but lets see the scenario. Consider this, a candidate was defeated in the election but he was made the PM or the CM by the party, dont you feel that its undemocratic? Again, such PM or CM contest election within 6 months and people rejected it, what will be the consequences? I am not in favor of Advaniji or against Dr. Manmohanji. These are constitutional aspects only

Rajneesh Malhotra (Advocate)     02 April 2009

Infact, its very easy for any prime minister to be elected in India. The party has safe seats.

Even if we take the example of the current contenders, Dr.Manmohan Or Sh.Advani, they would win hands down from whereever they stand. So does it matter whether they are from Lok Sabha or Rajya Sabha?

I think the real democracy would be,,,,,and actually a test of personality, if we vote for the person. Like in USA.

But they too have problems. Obama was much more popular than Clinton as an internal candidate, but later the people did not want to vote because he is a Black.

So i guess, no system is perfect, maybe we have to learn and live within the system, or make it stronger by education of the people...so that they can THINK and VOTE.

Leave a reply

Your are not logged in . Please login to post replies

Click here to Login / Register