LCI Learning

Share on Facebook

Share on Twitter

Share on LinkedIn

Share on Email

Share More

belewe moon (freelance worker )     07 October 2011

Conversion for divorce

im muslium got married to a muslium guy.our marriage life went miserable so decided to divorce..now he is not accepting my divorce and making my life more miserable. and i got attracted towards christian and plan to convert. Is that possible to get divorce after i got convert from muslium to christian...( i got married according to muslium law in our village and marriage registered in our mosque)..

Learning

5 Replies

Nadeem Qureshi (Advocate/ nadeemqureshi1@gmail.com)     07 October 2011

Dear Belewe moon

according to Dissolution of Muslim marriage act

4. Effect of conversion to another faith.
The renunciation of Islam by a married Muslim woman or her conversion to a faith other than Islam shall not by itself operate to dissolve her marriage:

Provided that after such renunciation, or conversion, the woman shall be entitled to obtain a decree for the dissolution of her marriage on any of the grounds mentioned in section 2;

Provided further that the provisions of this section shall not apply to a woman converted to Islam from some other faith who re-embraces her former faith.

(Guest)

Supreme court has taken a view and has given multiple judgments that converting to other religion to get divorce is not acceptable.

Aishwarya (Teacher)     07 October 2011

not accpetable by law.

Shonee Kapoor (Legal Evangelist - TRIPAKSHA)     07 October 2011

I agree with other contributors, that your change of religion doesnot end the marriage ipso facto, only if you were a born muslim.

However, if you were a convert to Muslim religion, and embrace your former religion, the marriage would end ipso facto under classical muslim law.

In fact till 1939, conversion or apostasy meant automatic divorce, the situation is still same for men, but not for women.

Regards,

Shonee Kapoor

harassed. by.498a@gmail.com

Mohammed Rizwan Shaikh (AM)     09 October 2011

@belewe moon.........pls dont convert ur religion........for the sake of marriage..........u will be rewarded hereafter.....please dont

Leave a reply

Your are not logged in . Please login to post replies

Click here to Login / Register