Share on Facebook

Share on Twitter

Share on LinkedIn

Share on Email

Share More

Aaron Smothers (Self)     07 September 2011

Partition suit: liabilities

Hello,

Much of the discussion on partition suits and succession focusses on inheritance of assets by successors. I want to discuss the issue of the liabilities (loans, etc) of the deceased, and how the successors are answerable to them as well.

How are liabilities handled in a partition suit? Just as there are documents erquired to prove a house or a bank balance to be an asset of the deceased, how are the liabilities of the deceased inventoried or established?

Will the loan have to be in the name of the deceased, just as an asset has to have the name of the deceased as a titleholder?

Another hypothetical example: if some family member other than a legal heir borrowed some money to pay for (say) the medical expenses of the deceased, can he claim it from the inheritors? What is considered satisfactory proof that the claimant family member is entitled to a settlement in the suit? Will a proof be required (by the court) that the loan was obtained for the express purpose of medical care for the deceased, and utilized as such?

I am curious on the whole about how liabilities and claims thereof are handled in a partition suit.

Thanks!

Learning

2 Replies

jagadishwer (member )     10 September 2011

the liabilities of the deceased have to be answered by his / her Successors as they share in partition of the estate of the deceased. on his death the successors cannot escape the liabliity and the attatchment can be sought on the joint familyt properties if any for recovery of the money lend to the deceased. 

1 Like

Aaron Smothers (Self)     11 September 2011

Thank you!

I have a related, specific question: can a family member WHO IS NOT A LEGAL SUCCESSOR claim from the estate of the deceased a settlement for any expense alleged to have been incurred by him on behalf of the deceased (such as medical bills)?

Even if proof of expense exists (by the way of bills and receipts), even if it was incurred towards causes for the deceased with no formal loan document or proof of indebtedness of the deceased, is such a claim admissible in a court of law in a partition suit?

Thank you!

Leave a reply

Your are not logged in . Please login to post replies

Click here to Login / Register