LCI Learning

Share on Facebook

Share on Twitter

Share on LinkedIn

Share on Email

Share More

Saurabh..V (Law Consultant)     07 July 2011

Flaws in CrPC

In India, all criminal cases proceeds by assuming that the FIR contains gospel truth and if any offence is disclosed by the FIR, then the case cannot be quashed. The accused has to undergo the trial irrespective of his innocence.

There are many judgments on S.482CrPC, which says, that a case could be quashed when there is no offense disclosed by the FIR. But I fail to understand that when a person files a FIR with an ulterior motive, and he get hand-in-glove with the police, what alternatives are left with the innocent accused? Can that FIR be put on the same pedestal as the other complaints? Shouldn't there be a mechanism to segregate such malicious complaints from those true ones? Should he simply succumb to the torture of the trial for 3-4years for that false case until the trial judge acquits him?

Why is there no special provision for such cases? If the accused can actually make his case stand out and show that he is innocent and the complainant has lodged the case with mala-fide intentions to wreck vengeance on the accused and for taking revenge, then shouldn’t he be given liberty to come out of the case instantaneously? Why is he forced to suffer for years till he looses all his faith in the law and the judiciary?

To me it seems, the courts have developed a procedure so that the “Judicial Shops” can continue to run and thousands of those who are feeding on the mercy of these shops like lawyers, judges, court staff etc, can continue to make an earning. But for a democratic country like ours and in the era of globalization, can we leave an individual to strive due to personal benefits?

PS: These are my personal views. These are not targeted to any individual but depict the scenario of the present judicial system in India. This post is only to engage learned members of this forum to come up with their views so that pros-and-cons of this aspect can be articulated.

//peace

/Saurabh..V

Learning

4 Replies

pratik (self working)     07 July 2011

Good Question's By Zeeshan Specially [Are they liable to proof what they write in charge sheet]

Saurabh..V (Law Consultant)     07 July 2011

What happen if police didn't find any proof or any crime to be committed after a false FIR ?

If they are hand-in-glove with the complainant, they can yet file the charge-sheet. Then it will be upto the judge to decide if there lies any cause of action. Generally, even judges don't bother to discharge the accused due to no evidence but they prefer to conduct a trial and then after that they acquit the accused. For example, false cases under SC/ST Act. A person claims that another called him by unparliamentary and derogatory words at a public place but yet there is no witness. Police would still file charge-sheet but irony is that even judge wouldn't discharge him.

What they write in charge-sheet ?

In charge-sheet they just mention the FIR, it contains 161CrPC statement of the complainant confirming the guilt of the accused and just say that this alone is sufficient so let the magistrate take cognizance and proceed with the case.

Are they liable to proof what they write in charge sheet ? or they simply write anything in it ? What are there liabilities toward charge-sheet blames ?

They are NOT liable for anything. Maximum they get is a warning for bringing false and concocted case. They simple walk scott-free even if the judge observes that this case was solely registered with mala-fide intentions. The judge do not even ask the I/O that what investigation he did!!

Above all, there is a special provision in CrPC that every I/O need to log case diary on daily basis. He needs to mention what he did with the current case and also on daily basis he need to update the same with area magistrate. When the I/O take 2years to file charge-sheet when the time limit is 90days, even then there is no departmental inquiry.

//peace

/Saurabh..V

1 Like

pratik (self working)     07 July 2011

He needs to mention what he did with the current case and also on daily basis he need to update the same with area magistrate. 

Query: Also if there is no case they also he has to update on daily basis. Also provided me the section which says 

He needs to mention what he did with the current case and also on daily basis he need to update the same with area magistrate. 

Thanks

Saurabh..V (Law Consultant)     08 July 2011

@pratik

See S.156 CrPC - S.173 CrPC for Police procedure and investigation.

It clearly mentions how investigation is to be carried on and completed. But these procedures are kept at bay. The courts have indifferent attitude towards these sections.

If these sections alone are made strictest this could actually bring down the average time per case. Police registers upto 30% false cases and over 50% are those in which they help the complainant exaggerate their plaints.

There is a provision under S.164CrPC where a complainant has to record their statement before a first class magistrate. This section is generally skipped in flase cases or in those cases where police is hand-in-glove with the complainant.

//peace

/Saurabh..V

Leave a reply

Your are not logged in . Please login to post replies

Click here to Login / Register