LCI Learning

Share on Facebook

Share on Twitter

Share on LinkedIn

Share on Email

Share More

Senthil Kumar L (Advocate)     29 June 2011

Foreign Will

Respected Advocate, I am Senthil from Chennai.  I am requesting to give your valuable advise to my following problem : -

1. One of my friend’s father is resident of Malaysia and he having a property at Chennai.

1. He wrote a Will bequeathing the property at Chennai in favour of his Sons, excluding his Daughters.

1. After his demise my friend along with his Brother probated the Will at Malaysia and obtained order to that effect.

1. Now the question is whether the Foreign Will and Probation of Non-Indian Court in respect of Indian Property shall be valid and binding on the Courts in India?

1. My friend afraid that his Sisters shall claim share in the property and file a suit in India ?

1. Kindly advise me to suggest my friend how to face the above problems ?

The Straight Question is Whether the Will executed by a Non Citizen / Non Resident of India in respect of his Indian Property and Probation of the said Will at Foreign Country can be valid and binding on the parties to the Will and can be effectively valid as an Exhibit before the Indian Courts ?

Kindly advise us.

Thanks in advance for your valuable comments.

Learning

3 Replies

anuradha (student)     03 July 2011

Hi,

If your friends fathers property is self acquired property he can write a will and that can be executes in indian courts by filing an application excluding his sisters.

K. GOPALAKRISHNAN (ADVOCATE)     25 July 2011

In opinion, the will executed and probated in abroad has to be revalidated in the appropriate court in India.

Pramod Harkisondas Divecha (private)     25 August 2011

Dear Mr. Gopalkrishnan,

A friend of mine is also faced with similar situation, viz. Will executed and probated abroad, wherein certain moveables in India have been bequeathed to the wife who is also a foreign national and lives abroad.

Would please be kind enough to throw some light as to the procedure involved along with details of  stamp fees and other details etc.

Thanks,

PRAMOD DIVECHA

Leave a reply

Your are not logged in . Please login to post replies

Click here to Login / Register