LCI Learning

Share on Facebook

Share on Twitter

Share on LinkedIn

Share on Email

Share More

Ashley (Head - Legal & Secretarial)     07 January 2009

sales tax in case of rejected garments sold as scrap

I would like to know if there is any provision in Sales tax act by which benefit can be taken in following case

Stock of garment amounting to Rs. 25 lakhs was rejected due to out of length and same was rejected by exporter certifier and stamped as rejected. The partner sold the same as scrap and realised Rs 20000/- on which he paid the sales tax. Now the sales tax department raised demand on 25 lacs and matter is in appeal before Commissioner and he has asked the relevant provision under which it can be allowed.

Please advise

Learning

4 Replies

VASANTH D JAGANATH (PROFESSIONAL)     30 January 2009

the definition of sale is very much clear that, to become a sale there should be transfer of property in goods for consideration.  In your case the consideration is Rs.20,000/- and not Rs.25,000/-.  It is self explanatory not required much explanation

Regards

Vasanth D Jaganath

Ashley (Head - Legal & Secretarial)     01 February 2009

But the stock cost was Rs. 25 lacs which was sold as scrap for 20000/- and sales tax comissioner has raised the question that there is no provision under which he can accept the sale at Rs. 20000/-

He says it should be chargeable on Rs 25 lacs only and not on 20000/-. would be really nice if you could quote relevant provisios and the case law to support my case.

Lucky Bhardwaj   05 June 2023

I'm impressed by the level of detail you've covered in this post. It's clear that you're a subject matter expert. To delve deeper, <a href="https://sites.google.com/view/very-best-deal-store1/home" target="_blank">click here</a>.

Harendra Kumar (A Practicing Lawyer)     06 June 2023

Dear Sir,

If such stock is lying in your book and was used for final product for furtherncer busniess purpose and your appeal is pending before Ld. Authorrity with soild grrounds can be rrecived fruitfull result in this regarrd. Howeverr, you should be context at the time of rejection of such stock before both Ld. Departments. You should eloberate more condition.      

Leave a reply

Your are not logged in . Please login to post replies

Click here to Login / Register