LCI Learning

Share on Facebook

Share on Twitter

Share on LinkedIn

Share on Email

Share More

Sushma Jha (def)     17 May 2011

Child name change

I have a daughter who is US citizen .My husband filed for custody of my daughter in India and lost it.As suggested ,I consulted Dept of Vital Records in US (where my daughter was born).They told to get her birth certificate notarised and give sole legal and physical custody court orders.US embassy in India said the papers I have , only state section 17 of Guardianship Act to have minor with you till 5 yrs but are not sole custody documents.

(1)Please suggest how to get sole custody court orders as my husband is not willing to support for name change  and is neither giving divorce.

(2)Also can my daughter continue her schooling in India with a new name and new surname and herself apply for name change when she turns 18.

(3)Is there legal name change process by advertising in newspaper through gazette of India for American born kid and then applying in US Embassy.

(4)Is it possible that she continues with new name in India and for US passport renewals ,she uses her old name  till she goes 18.

Ps suggest best way out for giving her a new name and surname and get that ammendment on birth certificate

Learning

2 Replies

Raja (XYZ)     17 May 2011

Why do you want to change the name?

Sushma Jha (def)     18 May 2011

For  religious reason

Leave a reply

Your are not logged in . Please login to post replies

Click here to Login / Register