Upgrad
LCI Learning

Share on Facebook

Share on Twitter

Share on LinkedIn

Share on Email

Share More

Sunny Honey (Student)     08 December 2008

138 - Negotiable Instruments Act, (urgent)

1. Is section 138 of the Negotiable Instruments Act, 1881 compoundable, (if yes with/without the permission of the court ? Quote if possible recent citation of the Supreme Court on this matter. - Urgent reply needed.

2.Can the court force the complainant to compromise the case under section 138 N.I.Act, 1881 (Criminal complaint) if the accused agrees to pay of the amount involved by virtue of cheque, at a stage after the service of summons failed, after the warant of arrest fails to get executed, but before the process of proclamation is UNDERWAY ? If answer to the above said question is in the affirmative then, please quote the relevant textual matter,and recent supreme court citation on this matter, immediately, urgent reply NEEDED.

3.Please quote relevant judgements of the Apex court (preferably) on this matter, any recent judgement will be highly appreciated in this matter.

Learning

27 Replies

sunny (lawyer)     08 December 2008

Yes 138  N.I. Act is compoundable. U  should  read  section  147 of 138 N.I Act

No. the  court  cant force the  complainant for compromise it  depends on  complainant

That  he    want   compromise    or not.

sunny (lawyer)     08 December 2008

Yes 138  N.I. Act is compoundable. U  should  read  section  147 of  N.I Act

No. the  court  cant force the  complainant for compromise it  depends on  complainant

That  he    want   compromise    or not.

Ashvin Khambhata (advocate)     08 December 2008

In series of judgements it is decided that offence u/s 138 of N.IAct  is a compoundable.Even at appeal stage compromise is possible.Now section 147 or 148 is self explanatory

Ashvin Khambhata Advocate

Ashvin Khambhata (advocate)     08 December 2008

In series of judgements it is decided that offence u/s 138 of N.IAct  is a compoundable.Even at appeal stage compromise is possible.Now section 147 or 148 is self explanatory

Ashvin Khambhata Advocate

Sunny Honey (Student)     09 December 2008

IS THE OFFENSE U/S 138 OF N.I.ACT, 1881, COMPOUNDABLE WITH/WITHOUT PERMISSION OF COURT ?

2.Can the court force the complainant to compromise the case under section 138 N.I.Act, 1881 (Criminal complaint) if the accused agrees to pay of the amount involved by virtue of cheque, at a stage after the service of summons failed, after the warant of arrest fails to get executed, but before the process of proclamation is UNDERWAY ? If answer to the above said question is in the affirmative then, please quote the relevant textual matter,and recent supreme court citation on this matter, immediately, urgent reply NEEDED.

3.Please quote relevant judgements of the Apex court (preferably) on this matter, any recent judgement will be highly appreciated in this matter.

Please quote relevant judgements of the Apex court (preferably) In this matter, any recent judgement will be highly appreciated.

As per legal view received from somebody, The High Court of Punjab & Haryana has advanced DIRECTIVES to the lower courts, that if the amount involved in the case pertaining to criminal complaint u/s 138 of N.I.Act, 1881, is less than or equal to 20000/- Rs, the court will declare the accused to be CONVICT, if he agrees to discharge the amount involved in the Cheque (which went dishonour), and will grant him PROBATION for a period ranging from 1-3 years, (as the case may be), and the court will itself arrive at CONCLUSION i.e. SUO  MOTO  COMPROMISE BETWEEN THE PARTIES.  - CAN THE DIRECTIVE FORCE THE CRIMINAL COMPLAINT TO BE ADJUDICATED BY VIRTUE OF SUE MOTO COMPROMISE TO BE ARRIVED AT BETWEEN THE ACCUSED AND COMPLAINANT BY THE COURT. - URGENT REPLY REQUIRED.  

POINT TO BE NOTED :-

COMPLAINANT DOES NOT WANT TO WITHDRAW THE CASE AND WANT TO TEACH THE ACCUSED A LESSON IN THE ABOVE CASE TO. 

Srinivas.B.S.S.T ( Advocate)     09 December 2008

I have never heard such directives. No court can force either party to the proceeding to withdraw. The court can only sugest compromise but cannot force. As far as my knowledge is concerned there are no such directives. 

Sir, do u have any citations to support ur claim (please quote the relevant textual matter,and recent supreme court citation on this matter, immediately, urgent reply NEEDED).

TVD Rajkumar (Advocate)     12 December 2008

Mr Sameer are we not putting cart before the horse!

You say there is some directives as per legal view received from somebody. Why don't you ask that somebody to give you a copy of the directive? and attach the same in this post so others can benefit or examine its legal validity.

TVD Rajkumar (Advocate)     12 December 2008

As for as latest decisions of Apex court under s. 147

R. Rajeshwari Vs H.N. Jagadish IV (2008) BC 6 (SC)

Vinay Devanna Nayak Vs. Ryot Seva Sahakari Bank Ltd. (2008) 2 SCC 305

Sunny Honey (Student)     12 December 2008

Sir as per the AFFIRMATION received from a very eminent lawyer, possibility of such DIRECTIVES can not b ruled out, although we are here to discuss legal views about the matter pertaining to the criminal complaint u/s 138 N.I.Act, 1881. It is not a matter to be argued upon, but to understand and examine the VALIDIT

Sunny Honey (Student)     12 December 2008

Y thereof. And I am not STRIKING BOWS IN THE SKY, but confirming from u  whether such directives exist or not, as simple as that, any way thank u sir for ur advise.

Regards

Leave a reply

Your are not logged in . Please login to post replies

Click here to Login / Register