Upgrad
LCI Learning

Share on Facebook

Share on Twitter

Share on LinkedIn

Share on Email

Share More

N.K.Assumi (Advocate)     14 April 2011

Is brain and mind synonymous or different?

Are the brain and the mind same or they are two different matters? Does brain control the mind or mind control the brain? I want to know especially from the view of ancient Vedc literature Chandogaya Upanishad and Bhagavat Gita.

Learning

13 Replies

Arvind Singh Chauhan (advocate)     14 April 2011

https://controlmind.info/human-brain/the-difference-between-brain-and-mind

https://www.scribd.com/doc/2451851/Is-There-a-Difference-Between-the-Mind-and-Brain

1 Like

Hello Arvind, nice to hear from you: But let us wait for more as to what the members wil say on this.

I would like to know more what the Upanishad nd the Gita syas on this.

zimmerzapper (student)     15 April 2011

brain refers to the physical organ inside the skull whereas mind refers to the thought process and mental makeup of a human being.

your question:

Does brain control the mind or mind control the brain?

what exactly did you mean by mind? english translators of gita have loosely used the word 'mind' to mean 'chita' and 'manas'. sanskrit is a highly technical language.

if you meant 'manas' by mind. then yes mind controls the whole body including the brain.

N.K.Assumi (Advocate)     15 April 2011

Thanks Arvind and zimmerzapper.

N.K.Assumi (Advocate)     15 April 2011

zammerzapper, what is self?

what is self? according to gita self is an illusion arising out of ignorance that non-moving and moving objects are seperate and different from you(atman).

may i know why you are asking these questions in criminal section?

(modify hack works)

N.K.Assumi (Advocate)     16 April 2011

In dying declaration under section 32 of the Indian evidence Act, as to differentiate what if conscious and what is fit state of mind. In fact I have come through some wanderful things on this aspects in Bhagavad Gita and Chandogaya Upanishad which some scentist have relied on it. What is wanderful is that what the modern scientist failed to apprehend  had been written long time ago by the sages in ancient Vedic Literature.

zimmerzapper (student)     16 April 2011

looks like we were more advanced back then then now

Arup (UNEMPLOYED)     16 April 2011

BRAIN IS PHYSICAL SUBSTANCE, WHERE MIND IS ABSTRACT.

IN INDIAN PHILOSOPHY, MIND WAS CONSIDERED SEVERAL TIMES BUT NOT THE BRAIN.

SO FAR I GUESS, THE CONCEPT OF BRAIN, WHICH IS VERY MUCH A PHYSICAL THING, WAS UNKNOWN TO ANCIENT INDIAN PHILOSOPHERS.

THEY CREATED A IMAGINARY CONCEPT 'SOUL' AND LINKED IT UP WITH MIND.

IN A LATER STAGE, MODERN SCIENCE PROVED THAT BRAIN IS THE PHYSIOLOGICAL BASE OF MIND.

N.K.Assumi (Advocate)     20 April 2011

Arup Sir, again that is very interesting. I was really shocked to see some of the wanderful lines from Upanishads and Gita commented by some scientist. I hope one fine day I will get an opprtunity to get a copy of Upanishad and Gita. Thanks once again.

Dr. MPS RAMANI Ph.D.[Tech.] (Scientist/Engineer)     23 April 2011

Modern science says that the seat of what we call mind and what we call brain are both inside our skull. But there is a rider. As far as mind is concerned many other organs or glands in various parts of the body also have functions. Nevertheless everything is controlled from inside the matter in the skull.

I know a little of Gita and nothing of Chandogya Upanishad. But I have read तैत्रेय उपनिषद because I found it interesting. In that Upanishad there is a dialogue between Brigu and his father Varuna. The son wanted to know from father what Brahman was. Here he listed a few things. They were अन्नंप्राणं,चक्षु: श्रोत्रं मनो वाचमिति. There is a reference to mind here, but no reference to brain. At one time it was thought heart was the seat of emotions and brain the seat of intellect. पुरुषसूक्तं even says that परमात्मा is situated inside the heart. We refer to people as heartless, large hearted etc. In Hindi both mind and heart are दिल.

Now returning to modern science all mental diseases like mental retardation, lunacies etc have their origin in the brain only. What is mental retardation?  If a person is far less intelligent than an ordinary person, he is described as mentally retardation. Many times there are genetic causes, but there are also other causes like the brain not getting enough blood supply at a critical time. As far as emotions and our feelings are concerned body chemistry plays an important part. When one feels fear, anger, happiness, depression etc. certain glands situated in our body secretes certain hormones. Conversely if hormones are injected, one may get the feelings also.

As everything is controlled from the grey matter inside the skull, it is difficult to differentiate between mind and brain. One cannot say that brain and mind are synonymous.  But both are different aspects of the same part of the body. In fact each of what we call mind and what we call brain have very many different aspects.

Leave a reply

Your are not logged in . Please login to post replies

Click here to Login / Register