LCI Learning

Share on Facebook

Share on Twitter

Share on LinkedIn

Share on Email

Share More

Guest (n/a)     16 November 2008

Is killing pigeons illegal?

Is killing pegions that took shelter under shade of others house punishable by law? A few Pigeons took shelter under a shade of my residence and living there for several years. Now my neighbor started catching them by net and killing them. Is this act punishable by law ? How could I take action against this cruelty?

Learning

13 Replies

Rakesh (Juris Doctor (J.D.) student)     16 November 2008

Take a picture while they are doing so and file a case under animal cruelty act.

K.C.Suresh (Advocate)     16 November 2008

Pigeons Sir

N.K.Assumi (Advocate)     16 November 2008

NO, AS  PER  SCHEDULE I  PART II OF THE WILD LIFE PROTECTION ACT OF 1972. PIGEON IS NOT MENTIONED IN THE SCHEDULE.

It is absolutely criminal and inhuman. Mr. Assumi, PREVENTION OF CRUELTY TO ANIMALS ACT, 1960 is applicable here.

You can register a FIR to your local police station in this regard. Or report to https://www.peopleforanimalsindia.org/contact-pfa.htm , PETA and many other animal right organisations.

N.K.Assumi (Advocate)     17 November 2008

Yes, Rakesh Ji, there is an Act against cruelty to animals as you mentioned. Does it mean that as per section 2 clause (a) of the said act "animal' means chicken and hen, cockroaches etc? If so your'e right.

Regarding pro animal rights NGOs such as the Royal Society for the Protection of Birds and other Animal chariries exist through out the World who are caimpaigning through the legal and administrative stractures for promotion of their charitable objectives, and my best wishes goes out to all those NGOs.

Rakesh (Juris Doctor (J.D.) student)     17 November 2008

Rakesh (Juris Doctor (J.D.) student)     17 November 2008

Assumi Ji,Cockroach comes under arthropod, I am not sure about them. But for chickens, hens and cocks, Yes.  Even cock fighting, snake charming is also illegal and criminal offence not only in India but in the most of civilized world. For research purpose in medical laboratories also there are strict rule regulations that animals (mouse, rats, reptiles, avians, etc) if you need to kill for your experiments, it should with least suffering. 

N.K.Assumi (Advocate)     17 November 2008

As per the act animal means any living creature other than human being.

Abhishek (abc)     25 February 2015

What is the harm in killing pigeons, they make the place dirty. They are not like other birds which want to stay in wild. Tomorrow some cockroch lover will take your picture and file a FIR against insect cruelity.

Get some life gentlemen, if tomorrow you are in pain your neigbour will help you not the pigeon. 

Sudhir Kumar, Advocate (Advocate)     08 March 2015

pigeon is not protacted specie.

ANIRUDH GANU   05 October 2015

The Pigeon is excluded from protection under the THE WILD LIFE PROTECTION ACT OF 1972. From a plain reading of Section 11 (3) (e) of the Prevention of Cruelty to Animals Act 1960, it appears that it may not be illegal to hunt the common feral pigeon for food. The said subsection section is reproduced below:

"the commission or omission of any act in the course of the destruction or the preparation for destruction of any animal as food for mankind unless such destruction or preparation was accompanied by the infliction of unnecessary pain or suffering."

Can this be the solution for the problem of exploding population of Pigeons in our cities?

Saurav Chatterjee   05 September 2021

1. Did you try to find out why your neighbour is doing it? 2. Pigeons are not like other birds. Pigeons in our area are killing sparrows . There were sparrows in our area and now they are chased away by pigeons. 3. If any person have asthma, then pigeons are very toxic for them. When Pigeons poop on any surface and then it dries off, and if suppose any person cleans it by scrubbing it then dry dusts of that poop may enter your respiratory tract and cause respiratory diseases which can lead to breathing difficulty. ---------- If you are shelteing pigeons, be a good neighbor and ask your neighbour if your so called act of kindness is making their life miserable?
1 Like

Leave a reply

Your are not logged in . Please login to post replies

Click here to Login / Register