LCI Learning

Share on Facebook

Share on Twitter

Share on LinkedIn

Share on Email

Share More

Hemang (Director)     04 March 2011

Question about Wages, PF, ESI

Hello. We have a manufacturing unit in Gujarat employing about 45 daily wage workers and 6 staff. We provide wages as basic+various allowances. The total is more than the government minimum every year. We calculate PF and gratuity on basic only, which is about 35-45% of total. My questions are as under :

1) Is it necessary to have DA? Or not required if "total wages" are more than "Basic+DA"?

2) Is it necessary to calculate PF on full wages? Or "basic" is acceptable?

3) Is there any law regarding increase of wages? How much should salary increase?

4) Is ESI compulsory in Gujarat? Would it apply to us? Is it really beneficial for the employees?

Thank you

Hemang

Learning

12 Replies

Selvam (Business Development)     04 March 2011

Dear Mr. Hemang,

My answer is follows for your question as per my knowlege.

1. DA is subject to applicability of the area. If your basis is include DA it is safe riding.

2. PF will attract only Basic & DA not other than that.

3. You need watch on the minimum wages of the state

4. ESI is not mandatory for all the location, it is concerned about the area covered under the ESI based on the facility provided by the ESI department. It is not only benefit for the employee even employer as well.

P. SELVAM

kalaiselvan (student)     04 March 2011

Is it necessary to calculate PF on full wages? Or "basic" is acceptable?

yes, it is necessary to calculate PF on full wages (except HRA + OT-Incentives + Foods provided to the employee at the premises + adhoc payments )

[Goodwork reward + how to construe + interim advance and settlement benifit + leave encashment +lunch, medical and conveyance allowance]  these all are covered under means BASIC & retaining allowances so you have to deduct and pay PF for All this things

by

k.kalaiselvan B.Com., BL.,(CS).

(Guest)

I agree with Selvam with the addition that retaining allowances, in addition to dearness allowance, are also included while calculating subscripttion, as substituted for the words "and the dearness allowance", by Act No. 46 of 1960, w.e.f. 31st. December, 1960.

PS Dhingra

Chief Executive Officer

Dhingra Group of Management & Vigilance Consultants

New Delhi-110089

Mobile: 09968076381

[dcgroup1962@gmail.com]

Hemang (Director)     05 March 2011

Thank you everyone for your reply. I am still not completely clear. If minimum wages declared by state government for our industry is Rs.160 per day, can we give Rs.100 as basic and deduct PF on that, and give balance as allowances. Or is it necessary to deduct PF on full minimum wages.

If givernment increases minimum wages by Rs.15 to Rs.175 next year, do we have to increase wages by Rs.15 for all employees? If our employee is already having wages of Rs.175, can we increase Rs.10 only for him?

Thanks

Hemang

Rajeev Khanna (Associate Lawyer)     06 March 2011

Hemang,

You cannot have basic salary less than the minimum wages if minimum wages is rs 160 that has to be the basis for deductiong PF i.e. basic salary should be Rs 160 and if it incresed to 175 subsequenty then calculation should be made on 175. also like to advise you that if you employ more than 10 labours then it is mandatory to deposit ESI of all employees who recive salary less than Rs10000 per month.

Regards

Rajeev Khanna

Advocate

Shafiq (Asstt. Manager (P&A))     07 March 2011

Dear Hemang

From your profile it seems that you are the director of that company. Fine for your information and I am sure that you are well aware of the importance of the PF. it is covered under EPF &MP act. The questions you have asked depicts that you are not aware of the very basic fundas of EPF, ESI and Payment of wages act. These are very neacessary to run a manufacturing co. I heard Gujarat is a very employer friendly state. But mind that the statutory authorities like factories Inspector, PF enforcement officers, etcs are never employer friendly. So I think you need to brush up your knowledge in these fields. Reading is the best way to do so.

For PF i am attaching some docs herewith. I think these will help you out. Plz get a copy of HL Kumar's " Practical guid to EPF & MP Act" The name of the book am not sure, but something like this.  Its really a good book. You will get all the answers

Mnimum wages are generally declared by the the Office of the Labour COmmissioner/ ALC/DyLC. Every 6-months i.e. from Jan-June and from Jul- Dec. for Unskilled/ Semiskilled/ skilled/ highly skilled workers. The rates differs from region to region and from category to category.  The daily wage must be atleast the minimum wage as per the category of the worker.  PF is calculated as per the provisions of the act. Definition of Basic wage may be obtained from the act. Now generally PF is given on (Basic+DA).

You have to know whether your region comes under the purview of the ESI. If it comes under ESI then ESI norms will be applicable. Or else WC Act now Employees compensation Act 1923 is applicable. Both cannot apply at same time.  

Theres hell number of case references that guide the employers in the issues of PF / ESI / WC. All that you need to know is neither we mangers can break the laws nor can we follow them in toto. Thers always some other way out. And there lies the competency of a manager to handle IR and labour issues. These issues are generally very touchy and leads to hell lot of IR/ labour problems.

Attaching here som docs. for you. Sorry I am unable to attach multiple docs.You are always welcome to discuss any such issues over telephone

Regards,

Shafiq (09434139276)

Kolkata  

Attached File : 25 25 simplified pf.doc downloaded: 634 times

pf

Attached File : 59 59 pf act.doc downloaded: 411 times

pf

Attached File : 11 11 to be observed by the establishment granted exemption under sec.doc downloaded: 377 times

Hemang (Director)     08 March 2011

Dear Mr.Khanna and Mr.Shafiq. Thank you for the inputs, I appreciate it.

So it seems that the minimum wages should be used for PF and gratuity calculations. Our labor consultant says this is not required, apparently he is wrong. The wages we are giving are more than minimum but PF is not calculated on minimum wages (for some of the junior employees) declared by government. We have to do that now. This issue has come up only recently as the minimum wages have almost doubled here in last 2-3 years. We are keeping all records correctly and depositing the PF/Pension amount every month for all employees. Only the amount on which the PF was to be deducted was the issue. Also we do not give Basic+DA but only basic. For most employees, it is more than minimum wages but for some it is not.

Mr.Shafiq, yes I am the director of the company, you deduced correctly. We have always kept our wages more than minimum for the juniormost worker. For the seniors, it is much higher. I will check out the book you have suggested.

For ESI, it seems to be applicable in our area, I checked on their website. But none of the companies here seem to be deducting ESI as there are no hospitals in this area.

Thanks for taking time out to clear my queries.

BHUPENDRA PATEL (SR ASSOCIATE ACCOUNTS & ADMINISTRATION)     15 March 2011

hi all, working in an architecture firm handling accounts & administration. recently EPF enforcement officer came to our organisation & inform us that we should pay EPF for the employee of our consultants i.e. structure, hvac, electrical, plumbing & landscape consultants. These consultants are having their own offices & working for other architecture firm too. I had refer the judgement of delhi high court which is as foloows. Please reply. Bhupendra

Outsourcing units can’t be clubbed under EPF Act: HC

New Delhi, October 28
The Delhi High Court has ruled that outsourcing units cannot be clubbed with each other or the company outsourcing work to them for the purpose of taking the benefit of Employees Provident Fund (EPF).

Holding that inter-dependence between them could not be a ground for clubbing under the EPF Act, Mr Justice S.N. Dhingra said, "two independent establishments cannot be clubbed together to show a unity of functions only because they are inter-dependent on each other at a particular time".

Taking into account that outsourcing was one of the mode of doing business where several ancillary units would be exclusively doing work for big companies, the court said such small units perform independent business for big automobiles companies and engineering companies.

"These ancillary units (outsourcing units) are independent business entities despite the fact that they are dependent on automobile company or engineering firm. These units cannot be clubbed with each other or with main company for purpose of the EPF Act on the ground of inter-dependence," the court said.

While outlining the condition, in which the two companies could be clubbed together for getting benefits under the EPF Act, the Bench said this could be done under the circumstance when an establishment was bifurcated to deprive the workmen of the benefits of labour law.

"Where two establishments are in fact one, but they have been artificially bifurcated only to deprive the workmen of the benefits of labour laws, then only the two establishments can be clubbed together and their joint employees strength can be counted for purpose of Section 7A of the Act."

The verdict was delivered on a petition filed by Regional Provident Fund Commissioner challenging the order of the EPF Appellate Tribunal's treating two companies as a separate entity.

The Commissioner had covered Golden Masala Company under the EPF Act by clubbing six employees of the firm Molu Ram Suraj Mal on the ground that both were inter-dependent on each other and in absence of one, the other will not exist.

Molu Ram Suraj Mal was doing grinding of spices exclusively for Golden Masala Company.

The Commissioner held that Molu Ram Suraj Mal was nothing but contractor of Golden Masala Company and hence employees of Molu Ram must be treated as employees of the latter.

However, the Appellate Tribunal held both companies as two different identities, which was also upheld by the high court.

The high court in its order said the Fund Commissioner had covered both the companies on the ground of inter-dependency but it failed to provide the basis as to how this conclusion had been arrived at.

rajat bapna (Manager)     03 December 2011

Sir,

We have a manufacturing unit in which our staff was drawing a salary of 8000 and we were paying the PF on 8000, now we got to know the ceiling PF is on 6500, so we reduced their PF share calculation to 6500 from 8000, is it correct to do? and now our labor is drawing a salary of more than 6500 but from the beginning we are calculating their PF share on 6500. what best can be done as we got the letter from PF department?

Thanks,

Raj

Vineet Kumar (Advocate)     20 March 2017

anyone have answer for this issue ....

i am facing same problem ....

Sir, We have a manufacturing unit in which our staff was drawing a salary of 32000 and we were paying the PF on 15000, now we got to know the ceiling PF is on 9500, so we reduced their PF share calculation to 12000 from 15000, is it correct to do? and now our labor is drawing a salary of more than 15000 but from the beginning we are calculating their PF share on 9000. what best can be done as we got the letter from PF department? Thanks,

thanks 

best regards

Vineet Kumar

Whatsapp No. 9935363839

Leave a reply

Your are not logged in . Please login to post replies

Click here to Login / Register