Share on Facebook

Share on Twitter

Share on LinkedIn

Share on Email

Share More

Roshni B.. (For justice and dignity)     05 February 2011

RPO,Jalandhar to impound passports of deserting NRI husbands

Times of India

JALANDHAR: Taking a major initiative to provide remedy to crucial issue of deserted brides, Regional Passport Office, Jalandhar, has set up a mechanism for registering complaints and then using provisions of Passport Act, 1967 to nail the accused.

The passports of the accused can be impounded or even if they do fly abroad whenever they apply for any service related to their passport they would be traced and then extradition procedure can be initiated, said regional passport officer Perneet Singh.

He said a Women Grievances Section had been established in the RPO, which would take complaints from the deserted brides along with the specified documents and then proceedings would be initiated under Section 10 (3) of Passport Act, 1967 after issuing show-cause notice to the offender for impounding the passport.

He said this system would work within the country and would be effective outside the country also to nail such unscrupulous elements. He said once the RPO would initiate impounding process the accused would lose his passport at the airport.

"Even if he was able to fly abroad before initiation of such proceedings, he could be nailed with the help of Indian embassies abroad," he added.

Perneet Singh said he was also taking up the mater with the Punjab government to make the system more effective. He held that if details like passport copy of groom, his social security number, permanent address in foreign country and contact number are taken while registering the marriage, this would be of great help to track the cheater grooms.

He revealed that RPO would write to the groom to get the name of the spouse registered in his passport, which would take just a single day if all papers are complete, and if he doesn't respond, then also action for impounding the passport would be initiated.Complainants can reach out to the RPO through a helpline number 0-84274-71823 or on rpo.jalandhar@mea.gov.in through mail.

15,000 women belong to Doaba region alone

RPO Perneet Singh said according to figures provided by National Commission for Women and ministry of women and child development there were total around 30,000 such deserted brides in the country and 15,000 of these were only from four districts of Doaba region. It has remained a big issue for the last several years.

https://timesofindia.indiatimes.com/india/RPO-to-help-deserted-brides/articleshow/7428764.cms

Learning

6 Replies

N . M . HANSI (SrTOA(P)GradeIII)     05 February 2011

There is no doubt that in most of cases NRI grooms are cheating their newly married wives but no one think about NRI brides those have cheated their husbands. In some cases either such brides have already married in foreign countries or living in relationship before cheating through marriage and their parents in India are even partly responsible for such malpractice. RPO Jalandhar is doing well against such erring NRI grooms but it will be remarkable if NRI brides be punished and deserted grooms be solicited justice.

Roshni B.. (For justice and dignity)     06 February 2011

whosoever is the faulty partner must be punished;be it the wife or husband,ONLY after providing GENUINE  proofs against him/her.

Else an honest person's life will be ruined.

Amanpreet Kaur (Senior Trainer)     06 February 2011

Originally posted by :Roshni B..
"

Great Initiative!!Hope the process is smooth and does not take long to provide justice to the complainaint . The offender should be deported back to India as soon as possible!! This is what will serve them right!!

Times of India

JALANDHAR: Taking a major initiative to provide remedy to crucial issue of deserted brides, Regional Passport Office, Jalandhar, has set up a mechanism for registering complaints and then using provisions of Passport Act, 1967 to nail the accused.

The passports of the accused can be impounded or even if they do fly abroad whenever they apply for any service related to their passport they would be traced and then extradition procedure can be initiated, said regional passport officer Perneet Singh.

He said a Women Grievances Section had been established in the RPO, which would take complaints from the deserted brides along with the specified documents and then proceedings would be initiated under Section 10 (3) of Passport Act, 1967 after issuing show-cause notice to the offender for impounding the passport.

He said this system would work within the country and would be effective outside the country also to nail such unscrupulous elements. He said once the RPO would initiate impounding process the accused would lose his passport at the airport.

"Even if he was able to fly abroad before initiation of such proceedings, he could be nailed with the help of Indian embassies abroad," he added.

Perneet Singh said he was also taking up the mater with the Punjab government to make the system more effective. He held that if details like passport copy of groom, his social security number, permanent address in foreign country and contact number are taken while registering the marriage, this would be of great help to track the cheater grooms.

He revealed that RPO would write to the groom to get the name of the spouse registered in his passport, which would take just a single day if all papers are complete, and if he doesn't respond, then also action for impounding the passport would be initiated.Complainants can reach out to the RPO through a helpline number 0-84274-71823 or on rpo.jalandhar@mea.gov.in through mail.

15,000 women belong to Doaba region alone

RPO Perneet Singh said according to figures provided by National Commission for Women and ministry of women and child development there were total around 30,000 such deserted brides in the country and 15,000 of these were only from four districts of Doaba region. It has remained a big issue for the last several years.

https://timesofindia.indiatimes.com/india/RPO-to-help-deserted-brides/articleshow/7428764.cms
"

N . M . HANSI (SrTOA(P)GradeIII)     03 March 2011

PASSPORTS  OF NRI BRIDES SHOULD EVEN  BE IMPOUNDED THOSE HAVE CHEATED THIER HUSBANDS

navdeep kaur (COMPUTER TEACHER)     08 July 2011

i am navdeep kaur. i was get married in 28th april 2009. my husband was in merchant navy. his company name is anglo eastren shipping mangement. he is sea man in navy. on 15 januaury 2011 his fedral ship reached in america at sanfransisco port. he run away from the ship.then he stay in california in america illleagly. after a month he forces me to give him divorce so that he can get married there and can become permanent resident of there. but when i refued him then he don't  have any contact with me. his parents also don't tell me anything about him. now  iam living with my parents. sir tell me what should i do now.

Saurabh..V (Law Consultant)     08 July 2011

@navdeep

If any responsibility is being avoided or struck-down by any spouse, there are provisions to bring your rights where they belong.

You have complicated case in hand. Here the point is to bring him back to you. But before that, you should decide if you are ready to join him again? You should decide what you want to do with rest of your life!

If you want to live with him, then you can file an application in court seeking help so that the person could be brought back where he belongs.

If you do not want to live with him, then file for Restitution of Conjugal Rights (RCR). With this petition in court, your husband would have one year to join you. If he deos, its good. But I think he wouldn't as you mentioned he himself wants divorce. Then after one year you can apply for divorce based on desertion by your spouse and in this petition you can claim maintenance for your living or a lump-sum alimony.

//peace

/Saurabh..V

Leave a reply

Your are not logged in . Please login to post replies

Click here to Login / Register