LCI Learning

Share on Facebook

Share on Twitter

Share on LinkedIn

Share on Email

Share More

ramarao (student)     26 September 2008

IS IT POSSIBLE TO CLEAR CHEQUE

I HAVE RECIVED A CHEQUE OF ACCOUNT PAYEE OF RS. 6000 FOR MY SERVICES. I AM NOT HAVING ANY BANK ACCOUNT RIGHTNOW.  I OPENED BANK ACCOUNT AND WANT TO DEPOSITE THE CHEQUE IN MY ACCOUNT, THE BANKER SAYS THAT THE CHEQUE DATE SHOULD BE AFTER THE DATE OF OPENING OF ACCOUNT DATE.

IS THERE ANY RULE BY THE BANKER TO REJECT THE SAME FOR DEPOSITE.

WHAT TO BE DONE IF THE BANKER HAVING THAT TYPE OF RULE AND AT THE SAME TIME THE OTHER PARTY NOT WILLING TO ISSUE OTHER CHEQUE.

PLS CLERIFY AT THE EARLIEST.

Learning

10 Replies

(Guest)

Strange, a cheque receivable is valid for sixmonths from the issue date, one can open an account on the last day of the month and deposit for collection.

Check if your cheque date is more that six months after issue..

ca.bhupendrashah (FCADISA)     26 September 2008

valiod for 6 months from issue?

Srinivas.B.S.S.T ( Advocate)     27 September 2008

A cheque issued is valid upto six months from the date of its
issuance. Its really strange that your banker has putup a new clause.
Just ask your banker to give the same in writing and see his reaction.

jayaselan j k (lawer)     27 September 2008

hey its amazing! write to the concerned public information officer designated under right to information act and get the necessary details and proceed occordingly

Kiran Kumar (Lawyer)     27 September 2008

very strange on the part of the bank, make a complaint against the bank with the RBI.

Rama chary Rachakonda (Secunderabad/Highcourt practice watsapp no.9989324294 )     27 September 2008

for such a small amount the banker is not supposed to put the querry like that....

J. P. Shah (RTI & CONSUMER ACTIVIST)     27 September 2008

Best way is to meet the manager of the bank and ask him to give in writing.  Contact their nearest zonal office or head office through email. bank's websites have complaint redressal icon. Bank cannot refuse collection of cheque on the basis of its date etc. Date of opening of account and date of chq has no relevance for collection. U can show that U are true owner of the chq and at the most give them copy of letter recd from the company with the chq to establish your credentials. 

Jithendra.H.J (Lawyer)     19 April 2009

i agree with kiran

Y V Vishweshwar Rao (Advocate )     21 April 2009

It is true that the situation is strange , but some of the Banks  insisting that the Cheque date should be after he  date of Account , as  there were some   frauds ie. for the purpose of wrognfull enchasment of Cheque  only,  the account was opend , ------but here is not that case .  Any rules of  Bank  must be practicle  , all the cases can not be visualised with their  over apprehensions . 

The Cheque amount is only Rs;- 6,000-00 !------ However the Cheque can be encashed by you in the Bank/ Bracnh on which the cheque is issued ,  the  drawer of the Cheque can identify you & your signature and it can be encashed in the bank/bracnh on which the cheque is issued  

with regards !

V.V.RAMDAS (Advocate)     27 May 2009

Dear  friend ,

If that is situation you can file a complaint before the local consumer forom for redressal and some compensation.

Leave a reply

Your are not logged in . Please login to post replies

Click here to Login / Register