Share on Facebook

Share on Twitter

Share on LinkedIn

Share on Email

Share More

Shree. ( Advocate.)     28 August 2008

Is this a Medical Care in India?

Patient Care in India News!!

The following news are shocking and painful...

The following medical negligence or fraud or wrong site surgery or just whatever the reason, such events can be prevented and people must seek for better care and accountability

Chennai, Aug 24 (IANS) Use of expired medicines and conduct of an eye camp by inexperienced surgeons at a private hospital led to at least 8 people losing their sight at Perambalur in central Tamil Nadu, official sources said Sunday after preliminary investigations.

The official revelation came after angry relatives of some 25 people, who complained of blindness after their cataract surgery at a private hospital, blocked traffic at Perambalur, the police said.

Two of the victims told reporters in Tiruchirappalli, 25 km from Perambalur, that they have lost their eyesight and doctors are attending to them now.

'I have turned completely blind and will commit suicide if I get a chance. Not only am I not able to see anything, the irritation in the eyes is killing me,' said M. Yashoda, a 73-year-old woman who underwent the surgery at the hospital.

'We are poor people with little political backing. The hospital expressed helplessness by claiming an error in the packing of the medicines used when I complained of blindness after the cataract operation,' said N. Ramaswamy, 61.

Of the 55 people operated upon July 29, 25 said they had lost their sight. A police complaint has been lodged by relatives of some victims.

The charges have been denied by the Joseph Eye Hospital, which conducted the surgeries.

'Only six people complained of total blindness, which we are attending to. Others suffering from irritation are also being attended to and are responding favourably,' hospital spokesperson S. Akhila said by telephone from Tiruchirappalli.

Situated some 275 km south of Chennai, Perambalur is a backward district with few industries and job opportunities.

Its land has turned barren due to absence of rains and drying up of the water table, leading to near total failure of agricultural vocations, officials said.

Are they Doctors? Is this a Medical Care in India?

Learning

1 Replies

Rajan Salvi (Lawyer)     29 August 2008

You declare something a camp, free and people flock to such places. Why do they want something for nothing? There is a need to change the way of thinking. The government has made the citizens of India into beggars, asking them to cue up for reliefs. A person needs to be taught very early in life that any help apart from parents, relatives or friends is alms.

Regarding the tragedy , I feel reallly bad. It pains the heart to hear such things. People give away a little charity [ that also on other peoples money ] and next day thier photograph is there in the newspapers.

To any one who is genuinely intrested , I recommend reading of the book " Fountainhead " by Ayn Rand. The world through out says HELP OTHERS. It is only when you are at the recieving end you come to know that the emotion of help is nothing but pity. No one on this forum would be proud to be told that somebody helped them out of pity. 

Think

Leave a reply

Your are not logged in . Please login to post replies

Click here to Login / Register