LCI Learning

Share on Facebook

Share on Twitter

Share on LinkedIn

Share on Email

Share More

100 %   23 April 2021

Cyber crime

I don't have any information, why my bank account got freezed by cyber crime cell Mumbai. I went branch to know the reason they gave me email copy of cyber crime cell that your acc freeze because of cyber crime cell enquiring my account. Please advice me what I can do to know the reason. Is there anything I can do so I will not be in trouble.

Learning

4 Replies

Sankaranarayanan (Advocate)     23 April 2021

You  can approach the cyber cell authority who instruct the banker to freeze your account and ascertain the facts

Ishaan   23 April 2021

In India, authorities like the Reserve Bank of India, Income Tax authorities, Courts, Securities Exchange Board of India have the authorization to freeze the bank accounts.

You can still monitor your account and receive deposits, including your pay check. But the account freeze prevents any further withdrawals or transfers from happening.

How can bank accounts freeze -

1. The government can make a request for an account freeze to the bank in the case of any unpaid taxes or loans.
  2. Creditors might have requested a judgment against you, which can cause a bank to freeze your account.
  3. Banks can freeze bank accounts if they suspect illegal activities such as money laundering, terrorist financing or writing bad checks on the part of the account holder.

Why the bank accounts are frozen in India -

• Unpaid loans of any kind
  • Tax dues
  • Unpaid money to an organisation or individual.
  • Repeated suspicious activities in the account
  • Use of the account for illegal activities.
  • Suspected money laundering
  • Suspected terrorist financing

If you do not fall within any of the above category, contact the bank, the concerned authorities, and your lawyer to sort the matter and let the banks that there has been some mistake. Generally, banks will see reason to it.  

Pradipta Nath (Advocate)     23 April 2021

Please seek a conference with an Advocate.

P. Venu (Advocate)     25 April 2021

You may approach the High Court in a Writ Petition.

Leave a reply

Your are not logged in . Please login to post replies

Click here to Login / Register