LCI Learning

Share on Facebook

Share on Twitter

Share on LinkedIn

Share on Email

Share More

B K D Agrawal (Retired)     17 April 2021

Privacy

A pdf file containing name and phone number of owners, in a housing society, is circulated among owners, then will it be considered as violation of privacy policy?

Learning

9 Replies

Pradipta Nath (Advocate)     17 April 2021

Definitely it will amount, if the same was not approved by the owners or proper reason was not provided to the owners.

SIVARAMAPRASAD KAPPAGANTU (Retired Manager)     18 April 2021

My Dear Sir,

Until hardly a decade back there were used to be big volumes of Telephone Numbers published by BSNL/MTNL consisting of not only the telephone number but the full address where the telephone is installed. Nobody raised the issue of privacy then. Even now BSNL/MTNL must be still publishing the Telephone Directories Citywise either in print or in soft copies. Problem is that the Cell Companies did not publish the Directories to the best of my knowledge so far.

Circulation of telephone numbers among the Society members is basically to ensure that members can interact with each other. I do not think  such circulation of one's phone number among other members of society where they are living can be called breach of privacy.

1 Like

G.L.N. Prasad (Retired employee.)     18 April 2021

The society membership generally states " I will be abided by all those terms and regulations" and circulation and display of the owner's name are primary.

Pradipta Nath (Advocate)     18 April 2021

Respected Sir,

My consideration was related only unwanted access by others using the society. The members' private mobile phone number against their will can be an extremely serious interference with their personal rights as we should not forget those unwarranted calls or messages which often floods in our mobile phones and this can not be justified in the name of circulation among members without just and specific cause. Moreover the case has to be decided on case to case basis as circumstances changed and we don't know the source of leaking data. So it is always preferable to circulate numbers in concurrence with the members and society.

Sankaranarayanan (Advocate)     18 April 2021

I do agree the points submitted by experts  Mr. Sivaram prasad and  Mr.GLN prasad . if any unwanted calls and misused then it is subject to question and  amounting to punishable accordingly 

Kishor Mehta (CEO)     18 April 2021

A member of a co-operative housing society can demand a list of fellow members from the managing committe and it in noway constitutes a violation of personal privacy.

Pradipta Nath (Advocate)     18 April 2021

But Sir, what if the list also contains contact details of the members as well? I mean to say may be member's address is enough but when mobile number is added into it, it should be shared in concurrence with the members! When we will accept that mobile numbers are personal property and not the property of any School or Employers or otherwise!

P. Venu (Advocate)     18 April 2021

The posting suggests deeper issues. Please post complete facts.

Kishor Mehta (CEO)     19 April 2021

The member should caution the managing committee beforehand not to divulge his mobile phone number. 

Leave a reply

Your are not logged in . Please login to post replies

Click here to Login / Register