Share on Facebook

Share on Twitter

Share on LinkedIn

Share on Email

Share More

yasaswi gomes (.)     15 April 2021

Fir timescales

Hi,

Can I log an FIR after 15- 20 years after an crime incident occurred?

Txs.

Learning

4 Replies

JINALI SHAH   15 April 2021

FIR can be filed even after few years but if the FIR has certain merits I.e. if you have proper evidences to show and it's just not false allegations then you can file an FIR. But if the police does not believe in your words or there are chances they might not take it seriously then no FIR is lodged as it happens in reality. 

For example in cases of rape an FIR is lodged even if the victim was raped many years ago and she might not have proper evidences to prove but still the police lodges an FIR. It is another issue that such cases later gets dismissed in court if the charges cannot be proved. 

1 Like

yasaswi gomes (.)     15 April 2021

Also, 

If someone wants to proceed further with a polygraph test, will police give the orders or the Court of law should give that order? I know consent from the other person is required.

txs.

sneha jaiswal   16 April 2021

Hello, Greetings of the day!

Yes, you can lodge an FIR even after 15-20 years, but you have to come with an explanation as to why you did sat over the matter for the long time, also, as far as limitation act is concerned, it varies according to the different offences ( or sections) there is different time limit for different offences.

For getting more clarity please do add some more facts related to the case concerned.

Hope it helps

Regards,

Sneha Jaiswal

1 Like

yasaswi gomes (.)     16 April 2021

Hello,

I want to know the time scales for IPC 420, 372, 378, 294 for the moment. If possible, can I have the web link or the IPC or Section name where I can find all timescales for various IPC’s? 

Txs.

Leave a reply

Your are not logged in . Please login to post replies

Click here to Login / Register