LCI Learning

Share on Facebook

Share on Twitter

Share on LinkedIn

Share on Email

Share More

Guna   02 February 2021

Notice period extension

I am working in a company for past three years and my appointment letter says one month as notice period. After sometime i have received an email communication telling my notice period changed to two months and it doesn't came with any condition, its one way communication. I never accepted this via email.

Now I wanted to resign but the HR people are telling my notice period as 2 months. My appointment letter as no such conditions. Can I fight this in labor court ?  

Will this work on my favor if i go to court ? 

Urgent please , i don't want to miss another offer 

Learning

5 Replies

Kevin Moses Paul   03 February 2021

As per your situation let me tell you than an employee can only extend his notice period if he wishes so, otherwise an employer has no right legal right for extension of notice period against the wish of his/her employees.

Yes, you should proceed to file a case in labor courts as you have valid reasons and urgency.

Hasan Kirmani   04 February 2021

Yes you can proceed with the legal case putting your original letter of appointment as a reference.
1 Like

Guna   04 February 2021

Thanks Hasan & Kevin. 

Can this be filed anywhere in India or only valid where the company is located.

Also will it get an answer in one month ? as it is urgent for me 

Hasan Kirmani   05 February 2021

It depends on the Lawyer you choose and the court proceedings.

Guna   08 February 2021

Below is the email i received some times back. i have replied telling that i am not agreeing on a two months notice period.  Now they are telling the notification has  been sent already regarding this. Is this applicable even if i disagree ? don't we have right to reject or accept ? please advise 

"In furtherance to the Appointment Letter issued, we would like to inform you that there is an amendment with reference to clause 5.1 that your notice period has been extended for 2 months instead 1 month as per the notification received from the client"

Leave a reply

Your are not logged in . Please login to post replies

Click here to Login / Register