LCI Learning

Share on Facebook

Share on Twitter

Share on LinkedIn

Share on Email

Share More

Sanjeev   28 December 2020

Serving notice period upon resignation

I am an employee of a private company. Upon resignation the official notice period is 90 days. The 90 days notice period is mentioned in the offer letter of the company. I have resigned and I am ready to serve the notice period of 90 days.

The problem is that the company is denying to relive me in 90 days and asking me for a notice period between 105 to 135 days and have emailed me that they can relive me earliest by 105 days and latest in 135 days from the date of resignation.

I have worked in this company for more than a year and I can serve a notice period of 105 day only though I am entitled to serve notice period of 90 days only as per the offer letter. If I do not offer the notice period between 105 to 135 days they might not give me the experience letter. What should I do so if they deny to give me the experience letter? What legal options are available if I serve the notice period of 105 days only?

Please advise as I do not want to lose my one year of experience and prevent them from withholding my last month's salary? Any guidance from a corporate lawyer will be much appreciated.

Learning

2 Replies

Hemant Agarwal (ha21@rediffmail.com Mumbai : 9820174108)     28 December 2020

1. No point in any legal fight, which will hamper your career. Adjust & Manage, amicably.

Keep Smiling .... Hemant Agarwal
VISIT:  www.chshelpforum.com

Ananya Gosain   31 August 2021

Notice period refers to the number of days between the date of resignation and the last working day of an employee. The time period for which an employee is mandated to serve notice before leaving the organization depends on the terms & conditions of the contractual agreement between the employee and the employer. Normally in India, the notice period varies from fifteen days to up to three months depending on the type of employment or the level of seniority. Acts that may protect you when resigning without serving notice period are as follows- 1)Section 14 of The Specific Relief Act, 1963, limits the enforceability of any contract related to personal service in the court of law, which means the employer has to be restricted to the extent that he can claim recovery “in lieu” of the notice period. It is up to an employee to honor the notice period to be able to collect full payment along with a relieving letter. 2) As per section 27 of The Indian Contract Act, Every agreement by which anyone is restrained from exercising a lawful profession, trade, or business of any kind, is to that extent void. An employment letter is a legally valid document and binding on the employee who signs it. However, if it mentions the words “in lieu of ” related to payment against notice period, in such cases the employer can not force an employee to complete the notice period if he/she is ready to sacrifice their salary against such notice period. In such cases, the employer is bound to issue a “relieving letter” to the employee, provided they do proper clearance as per the company’s rules & regulations. In the case of Hewitt Associates India Private Limited v/s Naveen Goyal, the employee did not serve the notice period and left the organization by simply putting in his resignation and seeking to join another organization. As per the letter he was to serve a minimum of 30 days to find a suitable replacement. The Delhi High Court observed that the company failed to produce any documentary evidence about the substantial loss it incurred because of his resignation, at the same time took 10 days to respond to the employee about rejecting his resignation. Therefore, He can’t be forced to do rejoin based on Section 27 of the Contract Act as well as Section 14 of The Specific Relief Act. Read more at https://www.lawyersclubindia.com/experts/Regarding-notice-period-494396.asp Regards

Leave a reply

Your are not logged in . Please login to post replies

Click here to Login / Register