LCI Learning

Share on Facebook

Share on Twitter

Share on LinkedIn

Share on Email

Share More

Sheeba Vasu1   23 July 2020

U.s citizen but wife is not giving divorce.estranged for 5 y

Am a U.S naturalised citizen got married in 2005 and have a 12 year old daughter. I work a welder in a oil rig. My wife left me 5 years back. I have properties in kerala. My wife wants 33 cents of land and she has attached the property to the divorcw case. I have got a japthi notice. She is working as a nurse in government hospital and she got a verdict for 30000 rupees as maintenance for my daughter in kerala. I appealed in Highcourt and reduced to20000. As I do not have a permanent job and am diabetic. Now am living alone in USA.Wife is asking for 50 lacs as settlement to give divorce. Kindly advise me what to do for the japthi notice to my property. She never liked me as I'm only polytechnic passout and she went to college. I'm a self made man. What should I do? I have applied for a divorce in the USA. How to make it valid in India. I do not have shell so much money in USA for education as it is free here till 12th. Kindly advise me.

Learning

7 Replies

(Guest)

Sir,

Where did you get married India or USA? What customs were followed? If USA, is your marriage registered with the marriage officer? Your query can only be answered after knowing these facts.

Regards,

Abhishek Tiwari

prasanthivasu.n (accounts executive)     24 July 2020

I was married in trivandrum according to hindu customs.

Sheeba Vasu1   24 July 2020

I was married in trivandrum as per hindu customs.

(Guest)

Sir,

Your wife has a right to initiate proceedings against you in India as per the law established by Madras HC (Reiterated by SC) in R Sridharan Vs Presiding Officer, Principal Family Court, Chennai.

In the instant case the Husband was a US citizen and marriage took place in New Jersey in 2002 as per Hindu customs. The wife came back to India and initiated proceedings against her husband. The question was whether the court had jurisdiction. The fact that the husband was never domiciled in the territories of India nor is governed by the personal law of that country was never canvassed.  

Regards,

Abhishek Tiwari

(Guest)

Errata at corrigenda: For the lines - “The fact that…canvassed” read:-

“The question what if the husband was never domiciled in the territories of India nor is governed by the personal law of that country is still open.” 

Regards,

Abhishek Tiwari

Nivedita   14 September 2020

You might want to visit this NRI Divorce article to understand the procedure of Divorce in the USA from India! Hope it helps!

abhishek goyal   02 November 2020

1. The NRI divorce plea in the form of an affidavit that the parties should submit to the family court.
2. Mutual decision about maintenance and child custody.
3. Matter adjourned for a period of 6 months (Cooling period).
4. Parties have to present themselves over in the court for making a second motion verifying the mutual consent filed earlier.
5. The court grants a verdict.
6. If either party may remove the petition from the court, no divorce will be granted.

Find: more details of this simplified 6 step procedure for Divorce in India for NRI

Leave a reply

Your are not logged in . Please login to post replies

Click here to Login / Register