LCI Learning

Share on Facebook

Share on Twitter

Share on LinkedIn

Share on Email

Share More

Manju   05 May 2020

Objecting possession in Govt land

Hi Sir/Madam, can you please help me on below query.
My uncle is enjoying some piece of govt land from very long back(1970) by removing some land slides in it. Now, some people are objecting him while doing agricultural works by saying that the piece of land belongs to them and govt gave patta to them. My uncle don't have any documents in that survey number but adjacent survey number belongs to my uncle.

How can my uncle hold that land and solve problem?

Note: The land is situated in Chittoor, Andhra Pradesh and that survey number also present in prohibited properties in registration office. If you need any further info, please let me know.

Learning

9 Replies

P. Venu (Advocate)     05 May 2020

Has your uncle your uncle been paying any rent for the use of land? If not, he can file an action based on his claim for adverse possession. It is necessary that a Notice in accordance with Secion 80 of the Civil Procedure Code needs to be served before proceeding to file a civil suit against the Government.

So also, please ascertain whether any patta has been granted for the land, as stated.

Dr J C Vashista (Advocate)     06 May 2020

Your uncle may be advised to file a suit for declaration of owner of the property on the strength of "adverse possession" and cancellation of documents (patta) stated to have been obtained/ created by some other claimants, through a local prudent lawyer if he is cultivating the land since 1970

P. Venu (Advocate)     06 May 2020

There is no legal basis for the above opinion posted by Mr. Om Prakash. There is no limitation when the cause of action is continuous.

G.L.N. Prasad (Retired employee.)     06 May 2020

Adverse possession is that which is known to all that the land is not belonging to that man who possessed and enjoying the land. and that the land belongs to some other. Contact a local advocate, and file RTI application seeking a google map of that area if available with revenue dept., at least 15 years back, and copy of pasta granted to the claimants.  At any cost do not part with possession and let them come with their stand with documents that establish their rights if any like Revenue records, tax paid receipts, etc.  In most of the states, there is a practice of preserving such google maps taken every year for that area.  I am aware but do not know how it is done, get such information by contacting a revenue official and also get any such record that shows the disputed land in your name in any registered document of sale deed in possession of others on that date.

Dr J C Vashista (Advocate)     06 May 2020

Dear Mr. Om Parkash,

As stated by author her uncle is in occupation of "government land" since 1970, what is your query qua title of the land under cultivation ? What do you propose and advise to seek information via RTI application? What would you like to do for a google map of the piece of land which is in the possession of her uncle as there is no ambiguity?

As per query of Ms. Manju "some" outsiders claiming to be owners are objecting to the occupation/ possession of said "government land". on the strength of "patta" issued in their favour. However, the person-in interest (uncle of author) is having document of adjecent land/ survey number but not of that particular survey number, which he is cultivating since 1970..

It would be better to give some help to the author for specific question, if you can contribute.

Manju   06 May 2020

Thank you for your valuable answers.
@Dear Om Prakash, can you please let me know answer this query.
The land belongs to Govt land and my uncle enjoying it from more than 50 years. He invested more than 5 lacks to remove land slides(its exists so many rocks erlier). Now some outsiders(they are not from adjacent land also) saying that govt gave patta to them. Is it legally correct govt giving patta to others(others means who is not doing any cultivation there)? if yes, how my uncle can recover invested amount?
it's correct that my uncle don't have any documents other than 50 years possession.

P. Venu (Advocate)     14 May 2020

Until recently, the settled legal position has been that the person in adverse possession can maintain no action for declaration of title, but could only resist a suit for his eviction or, in any way, advesely affecting his possession. That is, the fact of adverse possession constitute only a shield and not a sword. 

The above principle follows from the provisions of Limitation Act:

SL. NO.

DESCRIPTION OF SUIT

PERIOD OF LIMITATION

TIME FROM WHICH PERIOD BEGINS TO RUN

For possession of immovable property or any interest therein based on title. Twelve years When the possession of the defendant becomes adverse to tue plaintiff
However provisions of Article 112 would apply if the action is filed by the plaintiff:

Any suit (except a suit before the Supreme Court in the exercise of its original jurisdiction) by or on behalf of the Central Government, or any State Government including the Government of the State of Jammu and Kashmir.

Thirty years

When the period of limitation would begin to run under this Act against a like suit by a private person.

Thus, the owner of the property is not entitled to file a Suit against the person in adverse possession after the period of 12 years/ 30 years, as the case maybe. This secures him the title to the property. However, he could maintain no suit for declaration. That has been the legal position till recently.

The Supreme Court, in its decision dated 7th August 2019, has revisited the legal position and has held that:

59. We hold that a person in possession cannot be ousted by another person except by due procedure of law and once 12 years' period of  adverse possession is over, even owner's right to eject him is lost and the possessory owner acquires right, title and interest possessed by the outgoing person/owner as the case may be against whom he has prescribed. In our opinion, consequence is that once the right, title or interest is acquired it can be used as a sword by the plaintiff as well as a shield by the defendant within ken of Article 65 of the Act and any person who has perfected title by way of adverse possession, can file a suit for restoration of possession in case of dispossession. In case of dispossession   by   another   person   by   taking   law   in   his   hand   a possessory suit can be maintained under Article 64, even before the ripening of title by way of adverse possession.  By perfection of title on extinguishment of the owner’s title, a person cannot be remediless.  In case he has been dispossessed by the owner after having lost the right by adverse possession, he can be evicted by the plaintiff by taking the plea of adverse possession. Similarly, any other person who might have dispossessed   the   plaintiff   having   perfected   title   by   way   of   adverse possession can also be evicted until and unless such other person has perfected title against such a plaintiff by adverse possession. Similarly, under other Articles also in case of infringement of any of his rights, a plaintiff who has perfected the title by adverse possession, can sue and maintain a suit.

In vew of the legal position as above, declaratory suit could be filed based on adverse possession. For a person who has perfected his title, law prescribes no periof of limitation

1 Like

G.L.N. Prasad (Retired employee.)     14 May 2020

@Thiru  Venu:  Thank you very much for providing the latest SC Judgment that dispels all doubts with more clarity.  Please provide details of such citation also for the use of members like me that missed this important judgment.

P. Venu (Advocate)     14 May 2020

The Judgment could be accessed at https://main.sci.gov.in/supremecourt/2008/4680/4680_2008_4_1501_15805_Judgement_07-Aug-2019.pdf

Morover, in my above posting, the line "However provisions of Article 112 would apply if the action is filed by the plaintiff"  may kindly be read as "However provisions of Article 112 would apply if the action is filed by the Government".  The lapse is regretted.

Leave a reply

Your are not logged in . Please login to post replies

Click here to Login / Register