LCI Learning

Share on Facebook

Share on Twitter

Share on LinkedIn

Share on Email

Share More

Daniel   02 January 2020

Legality to request parents birth certificate

Hi - I am a catholic resident of Mumbai, India. Me and my parents are in a disgruntled relationship. Now I am in need of their birth certificate for immigration purposes and they have refused to give it to me.

I would like to know if I have any legal rights to request the church or the state to give me a copy of their birth certificate and if there was any Indian Law which would prevent me from requesting this or if there was any law which would support my ask for their birth certificate.

Thanks,
Dan

Learning

5 Replies

SHIRISH PAWAR, 7738990900 (Advocate)     02 January 2020

Dear sir,

You can get birtb certificate from government department on payment of nominal charges.

Regards,

Dr J C Vashista (Advocate)     02 January 2020

It is advisable to consult a local prudent lawyer for better appreciation of facts/documents, guidance and proceeding, if there is any problem. Your query is just procedural

P. Venu (Advocate)     02 January 2020

To my knowledge birth certificate is a public document. You can apply for the same.

G.L.N. Prasad (Retired employee.)     02 January 2020

While agreeing with all above experts opinion, they are impracticable as you do not know where their birth has taken place and when during those days.  If you are aware of their birth dates and place,and if birth is registered you can get such certificates from Registrar of births and deaths in Corporation office/Municipal office /Village at the place where their birth has taken place.

If the birth is nto registered it is difficult to get their birth certificates.

As suggested in earlier replies, contact Advocate and explore ways of filing a declaration suit against your parents praying the court for providing their birth certificates.

T. Kalaiselvan, Advocate (Advocate)     16 January 2020

You  can apply for copy of their birth certificates from the registrar of births and deaths or the municipal corporation authorities concerned. 

Leave a reply

Your are not logged in . Please login to post replies

Click here to Login / Register