Upgrad
LCI Learning

Share on Facebook

Share on Twitter

Share on LinkedIn

Share on Email

Share More

N.K.Assumi (Advocate)     16 June 2010

Detention after acquital: is it possible?

Accused was tried and acquitted by the Court, as several witnesses failed to testified against the accused. after his acquital the detention authority detained the accused under National Security Act. Is the detention a valid detention?

Learning

6 Replies

Suchitra. S (Advocate)     16 June 2010

The National Security Act (NSA) of 1980 permits detention of persons considered security risks. The NSA does not define "security risk." Human rights groups allege that preventive detention can be ordered and extended under the act purely on the opinion of the detaining authority. Such a subjective decision cannot be overturned by any court. So, I think the person can be a detained under the Act. 

Yes, Suchitra you are right regarding the subjective satisfaction of the detaining authority. But that subjective satisfaction must based on certain grounds and that grounds should be reasonable grounds and not just a wild imagination. Here the accused was acquitted followed by another detention, so what can be the grounds for such detention after acquittal and whether such detention is legal and valid.

SRIKANTH MYLAVARAPU (SENIOR OFFICER (LEGAL))     16 June 2010

once acqitted person need not be convicted for the same crime deobule jeopardy

Srikanth Sir, now it is only detention, not conviction of that person again.

Very Clever indeed Suchitra.  So what is the basis of his detention after acquittal?

Sir, I think detention is up to the authority under the Act. I cant say more than this. The Act doesnt speak about detention after aquittal..  :)

Leave a reply

Your are not logged in . Please login to post replies

Click here to Login / Register