Upgrad
LCI Learning

Share on Facebook

Share on Twitter

Share on LinkedIn

Share on Email

Share More

premu menon (Manager)     31 May 2010

Challenging a registered WILL is possible?

Dear Sir/Madam

My grand father passed away at the age of 96 2 weeks ago. He was handling all family properties including paddy fields, coconut fields, rubber estates and lands. He had 7 children. Elder one is a Son, second one is a daughter (my mother) third one is a son (passed away at the age of 22 in an accident), fourth one is again a son, 5th one is again another son and 6th and 7th are twins daughters. At the time of partition all his children were alive and my mother was married and my elder sister was 4 years old. At the time of partition since my elder sister was already born and who was the only grand child in the family one portion was awarded to her too from all immovable properties. Every one was equally given the share, but while doing so, my grandfather has put in a clause that certain immovable properties belonging to him , which were awarded to my mother, will only be available after his death. Even though it was written like that and documents were prepared accordingly, he promised that it is only written like that but there will not be any change in that later.

Years later my elder sister got married and during her marriage my mother's younger siblings brain washed my grand father and make him stand against my mother. Since she received a portion more on her elder daughter's name, all her younger siblings were not too happy. My sister's wedding was in the year 1990. In 1999 my grandfather has written and registered a will in which he altered the properties which was awarded to my mother as per the documents. The portions which were awarded to her titled "only after my death" was changed. My grand father has not aquired any property on his own. Whatever properties he inherited from his grandfather was awarded to my mother as per the documents which he has changed in his will. Further more he has gone to the extend of partitioning his deceased son among the other children. Which was not done in an acceptable manner. The deceased son, who is my second uncle, had properties such as proper land (high value property), coconut fields (less value property) and rubber estate (moderately ok value property). My grand father, under the pressure of his younger children, has given  the high value properties among the younger children. My mother and her elder brother (granpa's first child) were given the less value properties only.

My questions are

1. Is there a provision to challenge this registered WILL?

2. He has altered the partitioned documents as I have already mentioned. All the properties which he had altered were inherited from his family (his grandfather). Is he entitled to write and exexute a WILL on property which he didnt aquire (by buying from his own income) on his own? Can we challenge the WILL and make it void?

3. He has altered and partitioned (in his WILL) his deceased son's properties as per his wish. This is not done in an acceptable manner. All of the properties which were given to the deceased son was aquired from my grand mother's mother's properties. My granfather did not inherit or aquire any of those properties. Can we challenge this on the WILL and request for a repartitioning of his deceased Son's properties? Do he have the rights to decide on his deceased son's properties which were inherited from their mother's mother's (great grand mother) properties? The deceased uncle was not married at the time of his death.

I am waiting for a valuable appropriate legal help. Readers and experts please help me with your valuable knowledge.

Thanking you

Learning

14 Replies

raj kumar ji (LAW STUDENT )     31 May 2010

property is self aquired by ur grand father or its ancestral .if the property is earned by ur grand father then he dispose ur property as he wish if the property is ancestral the will is not work ?

The property is ancestral. He received it from his granfather. He didnt buy/aquire any property by his earnings.

adv. rajeev ( rajoo ) (practicing advocate)     31 May 2010

Property is self acquired property of your grand father he can dispose the property to anybody according to his will and wish.

Self Aquired means "Aquired by using his/her earnings" correct?

He received the properties from his grandfather who happens to be a member of my great grand mother's family. He in his life time has not bought any property from his earnings.

raj kumar ji (LAW STUDENT )     01 June 2010

in this case ur grand father can dispose only his share .

and all the legal heirs are claim to get there share .

all the legal heirs get there share according to hindu laws .

raj kumar ji (LAW STUDENT )     01 June 2010

and the will is revoked by all the legal heirs

Ayush (Advocate)     02 June 2010

Since the property is ancestral one, you can challenge the will. Such a will has not binding force. The ancestral property can only be shared equally among all the children. Your grandfather has right to distribute the property by way of will if the property is his own property. As per Hindu Law, even daughters have the equal right in the ancestral property. You can claim the same by way of challenging the registered will in the court of law. Please contact a nearest lawyer.

Remember the document executed earlier by your grandfather as his will, in which he has given a big share in your mother's name will also not have any binding force if it contains the ancestral property.

Remember the document executed earlier by your grandfather as his will, in which he has given a big share in your mother's name will also not have any binding force if it contains the ancestral property.

SRIKANTH MYLAVARAPU (SENIOR OFFICER (LEGAL))     03 June 2010

first of all the testator must have right over the propety

the property must be self acquaired

it must be a last wil

it must be attested by atleast two witness

if the above conditions are fullfil the will canont challeng even though it was challenged it can be proved by the evidence of the scribe of the document or witness

raj kumar ji (LAW STUDENT )     03 June 2010

SRI KANTH SIR THERE ARE SO MANY REASON TO REVOKED THE "WILL" U CLEAR THAT THE CONDITION OF A "WILL"

OR THE ANCESTRAL PROPERTY CAN NOT DISPOSE BY ANY ONE IN THIS PROPERTY ALL LEGAL HEIRS HAVE A EQUAL SHARE REGARDING DAUGHTERS ALSO  

SRIKANTH MYLAVARAPU (SENIOR OFFICER (LEGAL))     03 June 2010

in case of ancestral property all the class I heirs has rights equally irrespetive of gender.

no one can write will with out having absolute right over the property

Devang Mistry (Consultant)     03 June 2010

Note ...witness must be different than executor if any

radheshyam (advocate)     05 June 2010

you should concern senior Advocate, because in your case require good knowledge of evidence act , i.e. practical knowledge  right please do not go under the evidence act  any thing may be happaned and challenged by fact  of your case.

Leave a reply

Your are not logged in . Please login to post replies

Click here to Login / Register