Share on Facebook

Share on Twitter

Share on LinkedIn

Share on Email

Share More

Gurpreet Singh (Software Engineer)     25 May 2010

Compulsory Holidays in Pvt. Ltd. Firm

Hi All,

I need to know as to how many annual holidays are compulsory for a Pvt. Ltd. firm to allocate to its employees. Ihad searched for this question in this forum before posting a new questions, but the answer wasn't what I was looking for.

Someone told me that as per law, the Gazetted Holidays, National Holidays, etc. that need to be provided to an employee by the firm is 12 anually, exclusive of the Casual Leaves provided to the employee. Like, the Holi, Diwali, Dussehra, Christmas, Republic Day, Independence Day, etc. holidays given by a firm anually should add upto 12. Is this correct?

Learning

10 Replies

Reetu Dwivedi (Paralegal)     26 May 2010

As per Law you must declare  07 (03 National & 04 Festival ) holidays. It is prescribed under the Industrial Employment (standing orders) act 1946 U/S 10 of Central Rules,
The No. of holidays vary state by  so you must see your state Rules under the Act.

Gurpreet Singh (Software Engineer)     26 May 2010

Thank you so much for the quick reply and helpful information.

Rizwan Ahmed Ansari (Asst Manager: HR)     28 May 2010

Hi,

please let me know, if there is any provision in the Labour Law or Bombay Shops & Establisment Acts for granting compensatoty off to one who has worked on any of the national holiday or the holidays delared by the company.

Rizwan

Govind Sharma (Manager- HR & Admin)     30 June 2010

Hi

I am not sure about 07 days compulsory holidays. As far as I understand, it is governed through national holidays and festivals Act and under this, only 3 holidays are compulsory i.e. 26th January (republic Day), 15th August (independence Day) and 02nd October (Gandhi Jayanti)

Every organisation usually allow 10 to 12 holidays in a year. Some of the organisation make it flexible by way of compulsory and optional holiday

Regards

Govind

Govind Sharma (Manager- HR & Admin)     30 June 2010

Yes,

As per the Shops and Establishment Act there should be compensatory off or twice the regular wages

Regards

Govind

rajmore 22 (Service)     03 December 2011

can some one proivde me the notification that 2nd Oct ( Gandhi Jayant ) is a mandotary holiday.

Thanks

Raj

Avinash Kumar Sharma (Sr. Manager HR)     04 December 2011

Dear Sir,

It is provided in factories act. Please go through it carefully.

Regards,

Avinash

Surendranath. A (Applied Labor Law Consultants )     04 December 2011

Holidays to be declared for commercial establishemnts and factories is governed by a State Act  generally called INDUSTRIAL ESTABLISHMENTS and FACTORIES (National, Festival and Other Holidays) Act prefixed with the name of concerned State. In some states Shops and Establishments Act also provides for declaration of paid holidays. In such case the specific Act of holidays prevails over the generic Shops and Establishment Act.

Please check the holidays Act of your State to find answers to your queries. Republic Day (26th Jan), Independence Day (15th August) and Gandhi Jayanthi (2nd October) are National Holidays and to be declared mandatorily. Same has been provided in the every State Act on hoildays. In some Staes like Andhra Pradesh, May Day (1st May) is also delred as National Holiday. In some other Staes like Karnataka, May Day(1st May) and State Formation Day (1st Nov) are to be declared as mandatory holidays.

Therefore, please check the holidyas Act in your State.

Ayaz Manknojiya (staff)     15 June 2013

Sir, I would like to whether a CA article working in a firm is entitiled for Gazatted Holiday.

Bishikh Mohanty (student)     27 November 2017

Can you please give us the specific statute or backing for the statement made in the first paragraph?

Leave a reply

Your are not logged in . Please login to post replies

Click here to Login / Register