LCI Learning

Share on Facebook

Share on Twitter

Share on LinkedIn

Share on Email

Share More

Tarang Mathur (Software Eng)     17 December 2018

Oci for uk citizen and nativity certificate

I'm a British citizen wanting to apply for OCI. My parents were born in India and moved to the UK in the 1960s. Both passed away many years ago and I have no documentation to prove their birth in India, except a photo of their naturalisation certificates issued in the UK, which I understand are not acceptable for OCI purposes.

In absence of proof of your parents birth in India, I understand from the VFS Global website that you can obtain a nativity certificate from the district magistrate in the area in which they were born in India.

I'm hoping to obtain a copy of my father's baptism certificate (as birth certificates were not produced when he was born) and provide this in order to obtain a nativity certificate.  Also, I don't know: a) if a baptism certificate is sufficient for a nativity certificate and b) which district magistrate I need to go to for the nativity certificate.

The state which my parents were born is MP and district is Sagar.

Learning

2 Replies

A. A. JOSE (LAWYER; LEGAL ADVISER/CONSULTANT& TRAINER)     22 December 2018

Have your parents not studied in India ?  If you are able to get the School Leaving Certificate of your parents, perhaps, birth dates of your parents might have been recroded in it.  Have you not got any relations in India who may be helpful.  In any case,  most probably, you have to apply to the District Magistrate of Sagar District of M.P., and perhaps Indian Consulate in U.K. may be helpful.   Baptism Certificate is a legally valid document and you may try with it.  Best wishes.

Tarang Mathur (Software Eng)     01 January 2019

Thanks for your suggestion. It really will help us . We will apply to DM Sagar, may we know the process to apply. Should it be done by a means of lawyer or individual can directly apply? It will be really helpful if you can share steps to apply in DM .

Leave a reply

Your are not logged in . Please login to post replies

Click here to Login / Register