Upgrad
LCI Learning

Share on Facebook

Share on Twitter

Share on LinkedIn

Share on Email

Share More

Rescue Hands (Account Manager)     30 May 2018

Step mother's property, what are the rights for stepson?

My mother died in 2006 due to health issues.

I have one elder brother, he is married and has one child

My father married again in 2007, marriage held in temple and registration also done.

He died in 2008(Accident)

I was living with my step mother at her house from 2008 to 2012, her first husband died after 1.5 years of their marriage due to cardiac arrest and does not have children.My personal belongings including my motor bike is lying at her home, she died in 2012 due to cancer, she has one elder sister, two elder brothers and 1 younger brother, her elder brother and younger brother is staying close to her house.

After she died, when I went to the house(2013) - (I got married in 2012 and was living in Chennai), her elder sister stopped me from getting in and said I do not have any rights on the house and the property, after two days she went and complained in the police station that I tried to tresspass to the property, the respective station CI called me(I was at my uncle's home) and I went to the PS, the police asked me to collect my things from home if its urgent, they sent two constables along with me to the house  to take the list of things which are lying at home, he advised me to go to the court for such issues.

I got scared(There was nobody to support me) and did not collect my things from the house, its been 5 years now, do I and my brother have any rights to inherit the property ? if yes, how do I take this forward ?

Note : Relegion : Hindu

Learning

3 Replies

R.Ramachandran (Advocate)     30 May 2018

Whether your father left any property (like house etc.)?

The house property is in whose name?

raji   31 May 2018

If the property name is in your Fathers name then you can easily get it. 

Dr. MPS RAMANI Ph.D.[Tech.] (Scientist/Engineer)     05 June 2018

You can always claim your personal items left in the house. You write a letter to whoever is living in the house listing your personal items there and seeking their permission to collect them from there. If they do not co-operate you have no alternative but to go to court preferably through a lawyer.

Leave a reply

Your are not logged in . Please login to post replies

Click here to Login / Register