Upgrad
LCI Learning

Share on Facebook

Share on Twitter

Share on LinkedIn

Share on Email

Share More

Pawan Kumar   21 May 2018

How can i get indian citizenship in my case??

Sir,
I was born in india in 1997 and both of my parents are from nepal and i have a birth certificate and i have done my schooling,college from india and i have pan card adhaar card.According to citizenship act i am not indian so how can i get an indian citizenship as i am living in india since my birth and don't have nepal citizenship .I think there is only option left for mw is Citizenship by naturalization but i am confused about the documents that i need to submit . Sir can you please tell me what documents i can submit and what is the full procedure and how much time it will take and please what documents i can submit.

Learning

1 Replies

Vanshika Kapoor   11 June 2018

Citizenship of India:

1. By Birth (Section 3):

1. Every person born in India on or after the 26.01.1950 but before 01.07.1987 is a citizen of India by birth irrespective of the nationality of his/her parents.

2. Every person born in India between 01.07.1987 to 02.12.2004 is a citizen of India provided either of his/her parents is a citizen of India at the time of his/ her birth.

3. Every person born in India on or after 03.12.2004, shall be citizen of India provided both of his/her parents are citizens of India or one of whose parents is a citizen of India and the other is not an illegal migrant at the time of his/ her birth

2. By Registration (section 5):

Citizenship of India by registration can be acquired by-

1. A person of Indian origin who is ordinarily resident in India for seven years before making an application for registration; or

2. A person of Indian origin who is ordinarily resident in any country or place outside undivided India; or

3. A person who is married to a citizen of India and is ordinarily resident of India for seven years before making an application for registration; or

1. Minor children of persons who are citizens of India; or

2. A person of full age and capacity whose parents are registered as citizens of India section 5(1) (a) of this sub- section or sub- section (1) of section 6; or

3. A person of full age and capacity who, or either of his/ her parents, was earlier citizen of independent India, and has been residing in India for one year immediately before making an application for registration; or

4. A person of full age and capacity who has been registered as an overseas citizen of India for five years, and who has been residing in India for one year before making an application for registration.

Application for Registration as a citizen of India under Section 5(1)(a) of the Citizenship Act, 1955 made by a person of Indian origin

Form II, Section 5 (1) (a)

page4image27464 page4image28048

Application for Registration as a citizen of India under section 5(1)(c) of the Citizenship Act, 1955 made by a person who is/has been married to a Citizen of India

Form III, Section 5 (1) (c)

Supporting documents required are as follows:

page5image41960

Form II, Section 5 (1) (a)

• A copy of valid Foreign Passport.

• A copy of valid Residential Permit/LTV.

page6image4024
page6image5768

• Evidence of the date of birth of the parents’ viz. copy of the Indian passport or birth certificate.

• Declaration and Oath of allegiance as specified in the form to be made before the offices specified in the Citizenship Rules, 1955 i.e. Collector/ DM/ DC.

• Copy of Bank Challan in original amounting to Rs.500/- payable towards declaration and Oath of allegiance deposited in the State Bank of India under Head No.”0070-Other Administrative Services-Other Services-receipts under the Citizenship Act”.

Form III, Section 5 (1) (c)

• A copy of valid Foreign Passport.

• A copy of valid Residential Permit/LTV.

• Evidence of his/her husband’s/wife’s Indian nationality viz. copy of the Indian passport or birth certificate.

• A copy of marriage certificate issued by the Registrar of Marriage.

• Declaration and Oath of allegiance as specified in the form to be made before the offices specified in the Citizenship Rules, 1955 i.e. Collector/ DM/ DC.

• Copy of Bank Challan in original amounting to Rs.500/- payable towards declaration and Oath of allegiance deposited in the State Bank of India under Head No.”0070-Other Administrative Services-Other Services-receipts under the Citizenship Act”

Submission of Application:

A foreigner can apply online from the websitehttps://indiancitizenshiponline.nic.in/ic_form_public.aspx in order to start the processing of getting the Indian citizenship. The facility for online submission of application forms under Section 4 (1), 5 (1) (a), 5(1) (c), 5 (1) (d), 5(1) (e), 5(1) (f) and 6(1) has been provided by MHA. The applicants can make application online for quick processing of the same by the concerned agencies and the Central Government.

Applicants has to submit the duly signed/ self attested hard copy of the computer generated application form, and supporting documents to his/ her nearest Collector/ DC/DM office personally.

Leave a reply

Your are not logged in . Please login to post replies

Click here to Login / Register