Share on Facebook

Share on Twitter

Share on LinkedIn

Share on Email

Share More

Ritesh Srivastava (Manager)     22 April 2018

Income tax on sale of property owned by mother

Dear Sir/Madam, 

My mother owns a property (house build on 2200 sqft. of land), Now she has decided to sale this property. She will be getting Rs. 70 Lac approx. Which she is going to distribute in three parts. One for herself, one for me and one for my younger brother. So we will be getting Rs. 23.33 lac each. My question is --

1- Do Capital Gains Tax has to be paid on Rs. 23.33 lac which I will receive ?

2- If yes , how much capital gains tax has to be paid on this amount ? 

3- How this will be calculated ? 

4- What Are the ways to avoid it ?

Warm Regards

Ritesh Srivastava

Learning

4 Replies

Kumar Doab (FIN)     22 April 2018

Your mother is seller and would be getting proceeds from sale.

You may get clear opinion from a very able LOCAL senior counsel of unshakable repute and integrity specializing in tax matters/CA and well versed with LOCAL applicable rules/laws and having successful track record….and worth his/her salt …before initiating agreement to sell/sale …………..and show property related docs from beginning….for a considered opinion..

Kumar Doab (FIN)     22 April 2018

You may also post at group website of LCI;

CAClubindia

C.M. SARAVANAN (PROPRIETORSHIP)     30 April 2018

Your mothers should have paid capital gain tax of entaire amount after that may legal heire shared 

Vineet Garg (Income Tax Advocate)     01 May 2018

As you said, the property belongs to mother, then capital gains has to be calculated in her hands only.  If she distributes the sale proceeds, it would be termed a GIFT to you and your younger brother, which is not taxable.

Calculation of capital gains:  Sales proceeds has to be reduced by Indexed cost of acquisition.  If something remains in positive, then 20% of such amount is payable as taxes with surcharge and cess as applicable.

Taxes cannot be avoided and should not be avoided.  Government has given some benefits for saving tax. The best applicable deduction as I understood from you query is that your mother can invest maximum of Rs.50 Lakhs in capital gains bonds of NHAI which has a lock in period of 3 years.  This amount would be reduced from the positive amount as said above and then if any positive figure is left, taxes has to be paid on that as said earlier.

Leave a reply

Your are not logged in . Please login to post replies

Click here to Login / Register