LCI Learning

Share on Facebook

Share on Twitter

Share on LinkedIn

Share on Email

Share More

shakti ranjan rath (Senior Medical Writer)     12 April 2018

Marriage certificate and gazette notification

Dear Lawyers Club, after marriage, I have changed surname of my wife through gazette notification in central gazette. My problem is First I did affidavit (on 12-Apr-2017) followed by paper ad for name change (17-Apr-2017) and sent Delhi for gazette notification. While the gazette was under process, I registered my marriage and got the marriage certificate on 20-May-2017 with her maiden (before marriage) name in it. Around 1.5 months after the date of my marriage registration, on 01-Jul-2017 name change gazette was published officially. My questions are (1) Is the sequence of events here correct?? (2) is it a problem to get marriage registered in maiden name after affidavit/paper ad for gazette?? (3) If this is a problem, what is the solution?? Should I repeat the process again to date affidavit and paper ad after date of marriage registration?? (4) Or can I now just go ahead and change my wife's surname in documents like passport and also buy joint properties with her??

Learning

3 Replies

kavksatyanarayana (subregistrar/supdt.(retired))     12 April 2018

Submit an application to the District Registrar concerned through the registering officer (where your marriage is registered) for correction of the your wife name.  You shall mention that "at the time of registration the maiden name was writtern instead of husband's surname and hence correct the certificate with the husband's surname with supported documents.  

Kumar Doab (FIN)     12 April 2018

You must be having acknowledged copies of all  documents....

Those and Gazette notification can suffice..

If your spouse wishes she can approach Marriage registar for changes.. 

shakti ranjan rath (Senior Medical Writer)     12 April 2018

Thanks a lot for your responses. I apologise if I was not clear. My concern is ideally the name change after marriage begins with a marriage certificate followed by affidavit followed by paper ad followed by gazette notification. However in my case it started with affidavit followed by paper ad followed by marriage registration followed by gazette. Is this something I should be worried about??

Leave a reply

Your are not logged in . Please login to post replies

Click here to Login / Register