LCI Learning

Share on Facebook

Share on Twitter

Share on LinkedIn

Share on Email

Share More

(Guest)

Sthridhan

after marriage ​ if i gift jewellery to my wife does it become sthridhan ? if the marriage breaks can she take it along with her ?

Learning

34 Replies

Kumar Doab (FIN)     03 March 2018

IT does.............

TGK REDDI   04 March 2018

Gift is valid under Gift Deed.

TGK REDDI   04 March 2018

autohide4u

Namaste.

I appreciate your sympathy towards men.

While men and women are the enemies of man, a woman only can sympathise with man.

1 Like

Vijay Raj Mahajan (Advocate)     04 March 2018

Any gift given to his wife becomes Istridhan of the wife and the wife is absolute owner of that gifted jewellery and she can take it with her.

(Guest)
Originally posted by : Vijay Raj Mahajan
Any gift given to his wife becomes Istridhan of the wife and the wife is absolute owner of that gifted jewellery and she can take it with her.

thank you sir, now if the woman takes away the jewellery and runs away from the matrimony and does not return home or answer calls will that be called cheating by wife ?

Vijay Raj Mahajan (Advocate)     04 March 2018

It's not cheating but desertion by wife.

Lata   05 March 2018

Your wife can take the jewellery given to her and also claim that in the post marriage rituals your mother or sister gave some of their jewellery to her as gift which you later snatched from her and sold. If your wife has wedding photos of her wearing that jewellery then in whosoever name receipt is, it becomes her Sthridhan. Don't even dare to expect it back as it's her absolute property.

Lata   07 March 2018

The Courts take a liberal view when it comes to Sthridhan and favor the woman as it is for her personal use that it is given. Don't be misguided by someone who claims that it is easy to get it back on the basis of receipts. The Court does not expect the husband to get receipts in the name of his wife as ornaments are generally purchased before marriage and gifted at the time of marriage to the girl. You may read the relevant sections pertaining to Sthridhan under Hindu Marriage Act, 1955. In fact your wife can actually gets a ground to divorce you on the grounds of cruelty for ur false/wrong claims of Sthridhan. If she gets a ground then you as husband may lose more money as alimony. P.S. - Half the lawyers using 'Adv' before their name in this forum are not advocate. Ask imp questions in 'Expert' section of LCI where you will get better advice. Also personally read sections and then talk to a Senior Counsel (60 yrs plus with 30 years or more practice exp). Otherwise you will lose gold, money in alimony and also ur wife. The best way to resolve is to take care of ur wife. Women are emotional and kind creation of God.

Lata   07 March 2018

@Rameshji, Almost everything gifted to the woman during marriage or connected ceremonies by relatives of both sides or strangers is Stridhan. Do you think law will expect ppl to buy gold, microwave or even silver in the name of the to be bride? Law is common sense. Lawyers will say 100 things because they want money to file and drag a case and will charge for every appearance. Instead the man can buy his wife a jewel and gift it to her to please her and promise to take good care of her. A woman will never be able to send such living husband to jail for real or false reasons. Don't let 3rd persons like lawyers destroy your marriage. A good lawyer will tell you never to challenge woman's Sthridhan/file false allegations for divorce. That will amount as cruelty and man will be in trouble, not lawyer.

Lata   07 March 2018

@Rameshji, Almost everything gifted to the woman during marriage or connected ceremonies by relatives of both sides or strangers is Stridhan. Do you think law will expect ppl to buy gold, microwave or even silver in the name of the to be bride? Law is common sense. Lawyers will say 100 things because they want money to file and drag a case and will charge for every appearance. Instead the man can buy his wife a jewel and gift it to her to please her and promise to take good care of her. A woman will never be able to send such living husband to jail for real or false reasons. Don't let 3rd persons like lawyers destroy your marriage. A good lawyer will tell you never to challenge woman's Sthridhan/file false allegations for divorce. That will amount as cruelty and man will be in trouble, not lawyer.

TGK REDDI   07 March 2018

Lataji

"Ask important questions in EXPERTS Section"       Strange.      An EXPERT needn't necessarily be an Advocate.

"Women are emotional and kind creation of God".     Stranger.     God is gender-biased, you mean, as Laws are.

Do you also mean an EXPERT is always wiser than a non-Advocate?

A Judge said in the Court Hall before many Advocates that I knew more than Advocates.

One Advocate said I was more than an Advocate.

One Advocate said other Advocates knew only 25% of what I knew.

I'll my post my comments on Streedhan later.

Law may be common sense but common sense doesn't work in Courts.      Law does. 

1 Like

TGK REDDI   07 March 2018

Lataji

I've studied about stridhan in the net.

To my mind, it appears that, in this case, it's not stridhan.

A list has to be prepared and has to be signed by the bride and bridegroom.

Type stridhan pdf and read various articles, especially What is Stridhan-- Men Rights India.

Then enlighten me if you please.

A gift is not gift unless given under a Deed.       If a person give his bike for an hour to his friend, can the friend claim it to be a gift?

Adv Radhika Mehta (Advocate)     07 March 2018

Whatever the wife recieves from her husband, her in-laws', their relatives, her family, relatives and friends during the subsistence of their marriage constitutes "Stridhan".  If the wife leaves with all the jewellery, no case of cheating or fraud can be registered against her.  Its her own property. 

1 Like

Lata   07 March 2018

Originally posted by : TGK REDDI
Lataji

"Ask important questions in EXPERTS Section"       Strange.      An EXPERT needn't necessarily be an Advocate.

"Women are emotional and kind creation of God".     Stranger.     God is gender-biased, you mean, as Laws are.

Do you also mean an EXPERT is always wiser than a non-Advocate?

A Judge said in the Court Hall before many Advocates that I knew more than Advocates.

One Advocate said I was more than an Advocate.

One Advocate said other Advocates knew only 25% of what I knew.

I'll my post my comments on Streedhan later.

Law may be common sense but common sense doesn't work in Courts.      Law does. 

We are not here to hurt egos. We are here to help eachother from avoiding falling into legal traps that would prolong litigation, frustrate both parties and to wipe off ignorance. Radhikaji has given a good explanation.

P.S. - I have personally had a bad experience in the forum section and a better experience in the Expert section.

Leave a reply

Your are not logged in . Please login to post replies

Click here to Login / Register