Share on Facebook

Share on Twitter

Share on LinkedIn

Share on Email

Share More

Gaurav   22 February 2018

Serving notice period before resignation from psu bank

Hi,

I am a Scale-I officer in a PSU bank. I joined the bank in July 2017. I'm currently under probation.

After joining the bank, I soon found that I couldn't handle the workload as well as the type of work I was allotted. Also, I was posted in a remote village where Naxalites lived.

Therefore, I submitted my resignation letter in September 2017. My exit interview was conducted the next day. I had mentioned in the letter that I was giving 3 months' notice to the Bank. I had also agreed to paying the Security deposit of Rs. 1,00,000/- (Out of which 10,000 had already been paid).

During my notice period, I fell ill and the doctor diagnosed Jaundice. So, I informed my Bank about that and left for home.

It took me fairly long to recover fully. In the meantime, my notice period had passed. I contacted the bank's HR and I was told that my resignation had not been accepted by the Head Office (Mumbai) yet. They told me to send the fitness certificate by email. They said that since I was absent during my notice period, my absence had to be 'regularized' by HR and after that, I'd get my relieving letter.

PLEASE NOTE that I haven't joined the bank even after getting fitness certificate from doctor. This is because my notice period has passed and also because I was told by HR that my resignation would be accepted by HO soon.

However, yesterday I was told by HR that since I was absent during my notice period, my resignation has not been accepted. They told me that I will have to work with the Bank for 3 months from now.

Can they really force me to work for 3 months even though my notice period has already passed?

My appointment letter says,

"On confirmation in the service of bank, your services are liable to be terminated by 3 months notice or on payments of 3 months emoluments in lieu thereof. If you are desirous of leaving the services of bank after your confirmation, you shall give 3 months notice in writing to the bank"

Also, during the appointment process, they made me sign some terms and conditions which state -

"During the period of your probation including period of extension, if any, your services are liable to be terminated at the the sole discretion of bank without any reason being assigned by one month's notice or payment of one months emoluments in lieu thereof. If you are desirous of leaving the services of the bank during the period of probation including the period of extension if any, you shall give 3 months notice in writing to the bank."

As far as I can understand, I am supposed to give 3 months' notice to bank and the Bank will relieve me after 3 months. But since I was ill, I couldn't work during that period. Can they force me to work for 3 months? Or, am I eligible for relieving letter since I have given notice and the notice period has passed.

Please advise. Thanks in advance. 

Learning

4 Replies

Kumar Doab (FIN)     22 February 2018

Does the T&C in appointment letter issued to you, service rules provide that;

In case employee is on leave during notice period (for resignation) the notice period can be extended (proportionately for leave period)?

Leave during notice period can be applied and sanctioned.

After leave period employee can offer to handover charge/assets (if any).

1 Like

Kumar Doab (FIN)     22 February 2018

Relieving letter signifies that employee has resigned and nothing is due against employee.

FnF statement shows the dues payable by employer to employee and vice versa and net amount payable by either party to other party.

You have already offered to tender notice pay………………..

The T&C in contract of employment should be equitable. In case of your employer it is not equitable e.g in case of notice period.

Have you sought guidance, support, help from well knit Bank employees’ unions/forums!

Seek counsel and discuss the underlined issues if any that you may not have posted in the query.

Gaurav   22 February 2018

Thanks for the reply, sir! The T&C does not mention anything about extension of notice period.

Kaseem Koch   18 December 2019

Serving notice of the Indian man and way is ousted for the brick paces for the main mutual way for the terms. The notice of the uk essays review charged for the verity of the goals. The serving notice is hidden from all ways for the middle and all posts for the fittest objectives for the mid of the objectives for the concerns.

Leave a reply

Your are not logged in . Please login to post replies

Click here to Login / Register