Share on Facebook

Share on Twitter

Share on LinkedIn

Share on Email

Share More

RAMYA   05 January 2018

Default in payment of maintenance

There is a delay of 26 months of default in maintenance since Nov 2015 due to

(i) lack of follow up by our advocate (for about 10 months) inspite of our reminders.

(ii) judgement received in family court in favour of me in Aug 2016 for restitution of conjugal rights and our advocate advised not to claim maintenance because the husband may invite to join him and it is not preferable to embarass him by claiming maintenance at this juncture. So we kept quiet.

(iii) husband went for appeal in the high court in Jan 2017 against restitution passed in my favour.

(iv) we were also engaged initially in filing reply to the appeal filed by my husband in the high court in the restitution case.

Because of the above, we could not get the maintenance for 26 months. Now we have the following doubts:

1) Is there any limitation period to claim the arrears

2) The Lower court has sanctioned Rs.3000/- per month in 2011. The Lower Court has ordered restitution in Aug 2016. Now the restitution case is in High Court. Now in which court (Family Court_ Lower Court ) or High court do we have to file the execution petition to claim arrears.

3) Some opine that the Mainetenance order given by the Lower Court is valid only upto Aug 2016 i.e till the date of order for restitution passed by the Lower Court. Given the circumstance that my husband has gone for appeal in the High Court, is the maintenance order valid till date?

4) I have filed an appeal to the Maintenance order in the High Court for enhancement of maintenance amount from Rs, 3000 to Rs. 15000/- in Sep 2011 and the case is still pending and not taken up for hearing. At the time of filing the maintenance petition in the Lower Court and also at the time of appealing in the High Court for enhancement of maintenance, we had a poor evidence that he was employed as a Manager in a private firm. Now we have fresh concrete evidence that he is a proprietor of a trading firm and also we have concrete evidence of his income details. Because we have a fresh evidence of his income details which are substantially higher than what we knew at the time of filing maintenance petition in the lower court, do we have to file a fresh case for enhancement of maintenance in lower court or file an additional petition in the high court for enhancement of maintenance.

KINDLY CLARIFY ON THE ABOVE.

Learning

5 Replies

Rama chary Rachakonda (Secunderabad/Highcourt practice watsapp no.9989324294 )     05 January 2018

Rule 43 Interim Relief. Maintenance claims pending divorce. When a divorce is taking a long time to finalise or when one of the spouses is a homemaker with no income, the law provides a mechanism that can be used to assist spouses during a divorce to provide for the interim period until the divorce is finalised.

P. Venu (Advocate)     06 January 2018

What is the opinion of your advocate?

RAMYA   08 January 2018

We want to know the right course of action as there is a possibility of collusion.

Vijay Raj Mahajan (Advocate)     08 January 2018

The recovery of maintenance due upto Aug,2016 the date of order/decree of RCR, by filling execution application in the Family Court.

First file fresh application u/s 24 HMA read with section 151 CPC, in the High Court praying for continution of the interim maintenance order even during appeal period in the High Court . Followed by the recovery of maintenance due from the date the High Court appeal was filled till date, by filling execution application in the High Court.

File these applications and let the courts decide these issues.In the interest of justice you will definately get relief from the courts.

RAMYA   08 January 2018

Many thanks for your valuable advice. We shall follow your advice.

Leave a reply

Your are not logged in . Please login to post replies

Click here to Login / Register