LCI Learning

Share on Facebook

Share on Twitter

Share on LinkedIn

Share on Email

Share More

Prem Dhawan (service)     18 December 2017

Query on student/education loan

My query is to understand student loan before approaching an institution.
Student loan is needed for the education of my nephew.

• Is it always necessary to mortgage a property for student loan? Could you clarify with the help of some concrete examples?

If mortgage is necessary, I will have to mortgage my property because student's parents don't have any property to mortgage.

That's why some more questions as below.

• Will the loan be given to the student directly with him as first applicant (I am not sure if there is something like first applicant, second applicant etc. or not)?
  • Will my name be added in the loan application or in a separate application? If not, how will I and/or my property be linked with the loan? Will I have to submit original papers of the property to the bank with some signed agreements? What will be the link between this agreement, if any, and the student loan?

Because it will be difficult to know at the time of application what the amount of first salary will be, how soon the student will/can be able to pay back the loan, etc. that's why few questions as below.

• From when will the loan repayments start, for example after the completion of studies, after the start of first job, etc.?
  • When will the monthly installment amount be decided, for example already at the time of application, after the completion of studies, after the start of first job, etc.?
  • When will the tenure for paying back the loan be decided, for example already at the time of application, after the completion of studies, after the start of first job, etc.?
  • Can the start of installment payments be delayed (by agreement already at the time of application, or later), for example if the student wants to pursure some further studies after the completion of the studies for which loan was taken?

I would also like to understand the risk for me because my property will be mortgaged.

• Can the student escape easily from paying back the loan by simply saying No (refusing) to the bank for paying back the loan even if he has a job?
  • Will the bank have to try every possibility to recover the money from him or his parents before using my property to recover the loan? What are those possibilities?
  • Is the bank obliged to try all possible options including legal route (court cases) against the student and/or his parents before using my property to recover the loan?
  • Will the bank need court's permission before using my property to recover the loan?
  • What can be my point of defence taking into account that I may not have easy and direct access to records related to student's job or salary to prove that he is in a position to pay back the loan but he is not paying? Or I won't be able to keep my property if student simply doesn't pay back the loan?

Thank you.

Learning

10 Replies

G.L.N. Prasad (Retired employee.)     18 December 2017

A  simple one to one discussion with concerned Bank Manager can help you in understanding the Rules and regulations.

The bank always try to first proceed on those security which can bring recovery immediately.  Be it a high net worth third party (guarantor) or mortgaged property.  One can not foretell the decision that manager may take in future for recovery of the loan.

A Bank may proceed against guaranor also, without proceeding against borrower as it depends on easy access for recovery.  

It appears that your nephew may be demanding for your guarantee/mortgage and it is purely in between you as risk can never be ruled out in such transactions and it depends on borrower's integrity, which guarantor must be knowing better than a Bank Manager.

P. Venu (Advocate)     18 December 2017

Admittedly, the loan is yet to be applied for. As such, my suggestions are restricted to the sanction of the loan. 

The scheme envisages the sanction of loan against the future earning capacity of the student; loan upto Rs. 4 Lakh requires no guaranteers or mortgage of property; it is sanctioned to the student concerned.

rodijeffu   21 December 2017

rodijeffu   21 December 2017

The loan for the student education is the best thing or the work from which they can make a better career. If you have not such resources, then review professional assignment writing services after which you will get the better article for your learning and education process.

G.L.N. Prasad (Retired employee.)     21 December 2017

Making a simple query with several paragraphs confuse the experts that is having limited time at their disposal.

To my understanding the following is the essence of the query.

a)Member's nephew wanted to avail an educational loan.  The presumption of the query is that Bank manager wanted a guaranee and mortgage of property also as the educational loans are substantially  contributing to NPA category which recovery is being very difficult, as students migrate and whereabouts are also not known, or going abroad for jobs etc.  Member whole heartedly  may not be willing and may be his close relations are compelling him to take a decision unwillingly, and he is exploring ways to avoid such future risk by knowing the rules and regulations.

b)Educational rules and regulations uniformly applicable was uploaded by several banks and RBI has uploaded their directives / guidelines.

c)Sanctioning of a loan is discretion of the bank.  As 4 lakhs is the cut off limit, banks sanction 4,05,000/- as loan and insist mortgage.

I may be right or wrong, but the presumptions can be made while replying to a query and such presumptions are not meant for offending unknown members.

julia anderson   08 August 2019

I wouldn't recommend you to avail these types of loans and credit which is nice by the way. I am writing articles and that is my profession that can help thecitywrites in many ways, do you need some support and information, come and follow our articles over here.

julia anderson   18 October 2019

One of my favorite movie of all times and I would love to download it from your website, it's the most hilarious thing I had ever, Can you please follow me on my blog and share the download link with us through our pemburyschoolhousenursery.com and do the best deal over here, we are waiting for your kind response actually we need some feedback over here, it would be simply awesome.

julia anderson   04 November 2019

We know that the role of science is hilarious in human development as it may guide you a lot. We are working online through different websites and our platform on mystudentsfly will surely guide you in a perfect way. We have been looking forward to guiding you as our team is committed to helping you.

julia anderson   03 December 2019

The most elegant thing is to earn the respect and that's a pretty useful way if you apply logical things. I am feeling very lucky and will be happy to tell you that kcmuseum page is getting a huge response from online websites, I'm feeling lucky dude, thanks a lot for your nice support and love. We wish you the best of luck.

Charlie Gill   15 April 2020

And fell for any grammatical issues, so feel free about low quality or copied paragraphs. 
Students Help

Leave a reply

Your are not logged in . Please login to post replies

Click here to Login / Register