LCI Learning

Share on Facebook

Share on Twitter

Share on LinkedIn

Share on Email

Share More

Robin Mathew   09 October 2017

Wrong Background Verification

Hi, I recently gave an interview to a reputed MNC in India, and they ran a background verification on my education before they could offer me the job. They had shared employee compensation over the email and mention that it is subjected to background verification. After few days, their HR informed that my education qualification (graduation) has returned negative reason the university from where I did my graduation is not recognised by UGC. After this, I filled an RTI to UGC confirming university accredition and also got my marksheet verified from the university at the same time. In response to RTI filled, UGC confirmed that university is recognised by them and the university also confirmed that my marsheet is genuine. This proceedure almost took 1.5 months and I got a job in some other company. I would like to know, what claims I can make against the mental harrasment against this company? As after sharing all the relavent documents from university and UGC, they did not offer the job.

Learning

10 Replies

Robin Mathew   09 October 2017

In addition to my last post, I asked the university to clear out the allegation that they being a recognised university from UGC or not, they in response sent a couple of documents over the email which confirms that they are recognised by UGC. I shared those documents including RTI response from UGC confirming my university is recognised by them but this company kept saying that they have not recieved the email that I have shared twice already with them. Please advise.

Kumar Doab (FIN)     09 October 2017

Did you resign Or were you asked to resign before or after compensation package was sent to you?

Did you ask to send you the copy of said BGV?

Kumar Doab (FIN)     09 October 2017

The establishment could have replied to your emails and if you have the delivery reports IT should have avoided mentioning that emails are not supplied.

IT could have mentioned that IT is getting in touch with internal team that has conducted BGV or the external agency hired by IT.

Robin Mathew   10 October 2017

Hello Kumar, thank you for taking interest in my post. They did not ask me to resign as technically even they have offered the compensation letter over the email, it has a clause that employment is subjected to BGV. They did not provide any sort of third part verification professional report. Instead they sent an email which had a google search results that university not being recognised by UGC, to which the university had provided enough supporting documents which proves they are recognised by UGC. Moreover, as I mention in my last post, UGC also confirmed that they are reconised by them. The same documents were shared to the establishment, but they are not replying.

Kumar Doab (FIN)     10 October 2017

IT is felt that; Google search is NO effective way to cast negative aspersions on University of repute and candidate.

If Univ has replied to you by email, it could have replied to recruiter as well.

Robin Mathew   11 October 2017

I am not sure why univ did not reply to the estb. However, I did forward the same email that was received from them. My main concern is that if I can make any sort of claims because of 2 reasons 1) the estb has no rights to cast negative aspersion a candidate based on the method they chose to do bgv. I am not sure if any other candidate was effected by it. 2) I have gone through unneccesary mental stress which could have been avoided if the estb had done things properly. Please advise what should be tge best course of action to this.

Robin Mathew   11 October 2017

I am not sure why univ did not reply to the estb. However, I did forward the same email that was received from them. My main concern is that if I can make any sort of claims because of 2 reasons 1) the estb has no rights to cast negative aspersion a candidate based on the method they chose to do bgv. I am not sure if any other candidate was effected by it. 2) I have gone through unneccesary mental stress which could have been avoided if the estb had done things properly. Please advise what should be tge best course of action to this.

helloverify   17 October 2017

I don't think that you can claim for either of the situation you mentioned in your query. If you were not asked to resign from your current company at the time of your interview, then you don't have any right to make any claim against their way of interviewing or for any other harrassment. As you say, they run a wrong background check, so may be the background verification process would have been done by third party. However as I think, the university from which you have done your qualification can claim for their wrong verification and brand name.

Robin Mathew   25 October 2017

I do believe that the verification was run through a 3rd party, however, I also strongly believe that the process that was involved in verification was not correct because I got my marksheet verified myself through the university by paying the verification charges as mentioned on their website and I did receive a prompt response through them. Since, the university has done their part correctly and I am sure they would have done it the same too if the correct process would have been followed by the company who was running the bgv on me then i cant claim anything from them.

Robin Mathew   25 October 2017

@helloverify, To sum up everything, I have my marksheet verified through university and they confirmed it to be genuine. UGC has also verified the university to be valid in their RTI response filled by me. Then why this MNC is not giving any recognition to the documents sent by these 2 entities and instead they are relying on to their own report which has been collected from the negative hits against this university in the internet.

Leave a reply

Your are not logged in . Please login to post replies

Click here to Login / Register