LCI Learning

Share on Facebook

Share on Twitter

Share on LinkedIn

Share on Email

Share More

Ashwini S S (analyst)     25 May 2017

Endowment policy surrender

I have an endowment ULIP policy in the name of my husband who left us two years back. We are still not divorced. I was the one who used to pay premiums for 4 years. Since now he is no more staying with us, I preferred to surrender the policy and did not paid premiums for the fifth year. Its an ULIP and the insurance company has withdrawn the policy. Recently I received a cheque from the insurance company issued to my husband because he is the policyholder. I have not informed this to my husband, because I fear he will encash the cheque and may not give me or my daughter the money. I have paid the premiums for four years with my self-earned money. He is a very irresponsible person and now also if I handover this cheque to him, he will misuse the funds. My daughter is the nominee and I am the appointee. The communication address and mobile number for the insurance policy is registered in my name, so he is not aware of any of the developments. I think he is not even aware of this policy as well. Since I did not deposit the cheque so far it might get dishonoured.  Now my query is, How can I get the benefit of this policy amount. Is it possible to convince the insurance company to issue cheque in my daughter’s name. Or am I doing anything illegal? please answer...

Learning

4 Replies

(Guest)
Originally posted by : Anita
I have an endowment ULIP policy in the name of my husband who left us two years back. We are still not divorced. I was the one who used to pay premiums for 4 years. Since now he is no more staying with us, I preferred to surrender the policy and did not paid premiums for the fifth year. Its an ULIP and the insurance company has withdrawn the policy. Recently I received a cheque from the insurance company issued to my husband because he is the policyholder. I have not informed this to my husband, because I fear he will encash the cheque and may not give me or my daughter the money. I have paid the premiums for four years with my self-earned money. He is a very irresponsible person and now also if I handover this cheque to him, he will misuse the funds. My daughter is the nominee and I am the appointee. The communication address and mobile number for the insurance policy is registered in my name, so he is not aware of any of the developments. I think he is not even aware of this policy as well. Since I did not deposit the cheque so far it might get dishonoured.  Now my query is, How can I get the benefit of this policy amount. Is it possible to convince the insurance company to issue cheque in my daughter’s name. Or am I doing anything illegal? please answer...

You inform him about this, anyway if you try to encash it in some form you will go to jail. This will be offence under the Indian Penal Code.

Your kid cant encash it either. To avoid future complications, it is best that you keep the cheque with you or deposit the same into your husbands bank account, am sure you will be knowing his bank account number, go to the bank and deposit the cheque, irrespective of whether he is responsible or irresponsible person.

Your marriage already seems to be on the rock, dont finish it by going to jail.  If you go to jail, who will take care of kid?

Ashwini S S (analyst)     25 May 2017

Thankyou Sir...Is it fine if I keep the cheque with me..I will not deposit it also

Rama chary Rachakonda (Secunderabad/Highcourt practice watsapp no.9989324294 )     25 May 2017

the cheque validation time is only for 3 months. If you do not deposit you & your husband may get lose the money. so deposit it immediately. Later discuss about your problem with your husband. 

Kumar Doab (FIN)     25 May 2017

If it not endorsed on specific Bank a/c number then it can be deposited in joint bank a/c.

Spouse can withdraw from such a/c if NO mandate of joint signature is signed.

Leave a reply

Your are not logged in . Please login to post replies

Click here to Login / Register