LCI Learning

Share on Facebook

Share on Twitter

Share on LinkedIn

Share on Email

Share More

Pruthvi Nath (Student)     16 January 2017

Right to vote

What is the exact difference between Right to Universal Adult Suffrage (Constitutional right) and Right to Vote (non-constitutional right)?

Learning

3 Replies

Ms.Usha Kapoor (CEO)     16 January 2017

UniversL ADULT SUFFRAGE or right to vote is the constitutionL RIGHT nd it is not fundamental right in genral AND STATE ELCTIONS. ON THE OTHER HAND RIGHT TO VOTE IS NOT  A CONASTITUTIONALRIGHT IS RIGHT TO VOTE IN COOPERATIVE SOCIETIES  ELECTIONS, IT'S A  STATUTORY RIGHT TO VOTE BUT NOT CONSTITUTIONAL RIGHT. iF YOU APPRECIATE THIS ANSWER Please  give me a like on my profile.

1 Like

Pruthvi Nath (Student)     16 January 2017

Sorry Sir. I was just eager to know the difference but not the level of question. If you know, please answer and it contributes to my knowledge. It's not the matter of class VIII or Ph.D. level, in my view we can learn at any time in our life time.

Thank you in advance that I hope you will answer.

Harsh Sohal   09 July 2021

The Right to Universal Adult Suffrage is a broader term than Right to Vote. Article 326 incorporates the system of adult suffrage for the elections to the Lok Sabha and Legislative Assembly of every state. According to this system a person to be registered as a voter for these elections must comply with the following requirements -

1. He must be a citizen of India.

2. He must not be less than 18 years of age on the appointed day; and 

3. He must not be otherwise disqualified under the constitution or any law made by the appropriate legislature on the ground of non residence, unsoundness of mind, crime, corrupt or illegal practice.

Right to vote is a part of system of Adult Suffrage. Right to vote is a constitutional right but is not a Fundamental right. The Right to vote or stand as a candidate for election is a creature of statute or a special law and must be subject to limitations imposed by it. 

CASE LAW - in Rajbala v. State of Haryana, the apex court, referring to the provisions of Articles 80,171,325 and 326, held that Right to vote is a constitutional right of a citizen and not merely statutory right.

Leave a reply

Your are not logged in . Please login to post replies

Click here to Login / Register