LCI Learning

Share on Facebook

Share on Twitter

Share on LinkedIn

Share on Email

Share More

Gunjan   11 April 2016

Name change post marriage

I have been working for the last 10 years, and in all places such as Banks/companies/PAN etc. my surname is the one before marriage.

My marriage certificate has a change in my surname. Now when I will apply for a renewal of passport - my surname will get changed to the one post marriage.

Is there an option to keep the previous surname in my documents, to avoid changes in so many places? Can I still get spouse name added to passport - while keeping the old surname?

Learning

2 Replies

(Guest)

Basically I was searching for long time , information I did not get. 

By which Act , women after marraige name changes automatically -- I referred Hindu Marriage act and all marriage act nothing is mentioned regarding change of name of women after marriage

Then how all women are changing name --- I concluded it is tradtion without any thing mention in any Act (If any one finds any act please correct me)

So women should continue in documents her Pre marriage name and in passport etc. should enter name alias . To indicate she has also this name

Now to change name , proper formality in Mahrashtra is Gazette notification, this is also in some state . So when gazette notification not done then name is not changed legally but it is traditionally. 

So I feel you should keep your pre marriage name as it is on passport and insert alias name also which indicates after marriage 

(Guest)

Since you say you change name on marriage certificate can i please see marriage certificate to find how they have changed the name So I can get deep in rules etc of it.

All rules and acts are mostly available online so can search and satisfy my query

Leave a reply

Your are not logged in . Please login to post replies

Click here to Login / Register